1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Egyptian topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Adam1499, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Adam1499

Adam1499 New commenter

Hi teachers

I am looking for inspiration and planning for a year 3 Egyptians topic. I have found a few texts but struggling to find any planning to adapt for my class of international students. Any planning for the following texts would be much appreciated: The Scarabs Secret, Marcy and the riddle of the Sphinx or Aa'Ats feather. I have previously taught the Egyptian Cinderella but not found it very motivating for the children.

Also looking for any inspirational activities or ideas to motivate the class with the topic.

Please email any planning or activities to: adam.roddy@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you all in advance

2. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Why not try looking on Literacy Shed?

We've used the Tadeo Jones video clip and looked at the archeologist Howard Carter - we wrote newspaper reports, character descriptions and planned an adventure story from it.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We mummified fish and built a huge pyramid in the corner of the class room. Great fun.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL We only mummified oranges!

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Little whitebait mummify quite well. We made a little cardboard sarcophagus for them too.

8. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Mummifying Gove would be much more fun.

Kswaz likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

Seriously? Did you scrape out the innards and pack with salt/bicarb?

10. Kswaz

Kswaz New commenter

I realise I may be too late but as a hook at the beginning of the topic I recreated Tutankhamun’s crypt using blankets, tables and a sarcophagus along with artefacts from our local resource centre. The children had to pretend to be Howard Carter and could only spend a few minutes inside the tomb (using pretend candles- battery powered) incase there were poisonous gases. They then had to feedback and describe what they could see inside the tomb to the rest of their team. Great stimulus and the children have been thoroughly engaged with the topic ever since!
    So much so that one child’s parents told me that he could not stop asking them questions about the Egyptians and that he cannot stop thinking about how the pyramids were built. He uses PE cones to build his own pyramids on the school yard on a daily basis

Great topic you can have so much fun with it!

In terms of texts, we looked at Egyptian myths and legends then compared them to local myths and legends. Nice short texts worked well to maintain engagement. The local aspect really helped too!

For the history component, the children were put into groups and created their own ancient Egyptian project boxes for museum exhibits. One group made an ordinary home, another made a noble’s/rich person’s home, another a temple and finally, Tutankhamun's crypt. They will research things like religion, food/daily life, burial that sort of thing. Make their own artefacts then ‘curate’ one anothers’ boxes.

Just some ideas!