1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Data and measures

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by polkadotbrolly, May 19, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm a student teacher and I need some advice on how to teach handling data and measures. On Monday I need to do litres and half litres (cover the relationship between litres and millilitres.) My class teacher has recommended that I take in different containers that all hold similar amounts. I have to say I'm puzzled as to how exactly to teach it and then I can't think of an activity to give the children then to do independently. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm a student teacher and I need some advice on how to teach handling data and measures. On Monday I need to do litres and half litres (cover the relationship between litres and millilitres.) My class teacher has recommended that I take in different containers that all hold similar amounts. I have to say I'm puzzled as to how exactly to teach it and then I can't think of an activity to give the children then to do independently. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

When I was a student teacher I set up a tank of water with various containers and the pupils found out how many it took to fill each one etc. Did require aprons and hand washing and a bit of supervision although it was independent work.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's a great lesson.You will have done stuff about Piaget and the way children develop. The idea that smaller and wider can hold the same as narrow but tall is one of those ideas.
    You will need different containers and maybe something recognisable like a milk bottle to get them to recognise a litre in at least 1 form.