1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 classroom wall help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachertonks, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Hi, I am new here so I'm really sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a look but couldn't find it - if it has, please could someone point me in the right direction?
    My question is, what do I need to put on the walls of my year 3 classroom before term starts? I'm an NQT starting my first position in September and want to get everything sorted at the start of next week. I'm putting thr 100 high frequency words up (from **********), a zone board and my groupings, but what else do I need? I'm stuck, and feel a bit silly to be honest!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hi, I am new here so I'm really sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a look but couldn't find it - if it has, please could someone point me in the right direction?
    My question is, what do I need to put on the walls of my year 3 classroom before term starts? I'm an NQT starting my first position in September and want to get everything sorted at the start of next week. I'm putting thr 100 high frequency words up (from **********), a zone board and my groupings, but what else do I need? I'm stuck, and feel a bit silly to be honest!
    Thanks in advance.

3. Hi, these threads are all about year 3 classrooms and their displays, it might give you some good starting points.
    [​IMG]

Click here, here, here and here

Hope this is helpful

4. Hey!
    I was an NQT last year in a Year 3 class! Am still in Year 3 this year so this is what I am doing if it helps:

One Maths display- with things like times tables poster, numbers in 100s key words etc etc.
    One Science display- we are starting off with 'Characteristics of materials' so I am putting up key words etc.
    I then have a topic wall and as our topic is the Romans I am putting up all Roman related things!
    Then as one of our initial activities I am doing a getting to know you thing where they will complete a sheet entitled "Year 3 Passport". I will then take pictures of them to put up so its a nice instant display!

I hope this helps. By the way www.sparklebox2.co.uk was my lifesaver! it's so good for banners etc!
    As I have just finished my NQT year, and we are both in Year 3 if you would like to chat about anything else let me know- I could try and help if you need anything!!
    scoppen x

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  5. Hi
    I am Y3 teach and SLT. We are really focusing this year on working walls. I always have a lit ww up which has weekly objectives, help sheets, spelling strategies and photocopies of chns work (in progress). it is not a pretty display, but it is essential. Chn always use it. Also first week back I put up teacher displays e.g. Dont Use Said and then lots of synonyms for said. Also numeracy focusing on 2.5.10 times tables e.g. how many 5s in 15, what is 2 multiplied by 6 etc. How about photo/portrait of chn with caption introducing themselves.

6. I am also an NQT and starting in mixed 2/3. My displays so far are a Numeracy display with info such as conversions ie. 100cm in 1m etc, times tables (2,5,10) vocab and other info from ********** and commincations4all (both sites brill!)

Then I have a Literacy working wall- surrounding that I have posters with Lit info- i.e. what is a noun, verb, adjective etc with explanations (**********) My literacy display is blank at moment (ready for chn's work in progress)- apart from the unit name and a space for objectives.
    I also have a board for my creative curriculum. Then I have a board dedicated to VCOP, Rewards and Rules (v.imp!) and also a class notice board.
    Then around the classroom I have general posters to motivate. Oh and I have a visual timetable too!
    Hope that helps!!

7. I organise my classroom so that I have a reading corner/english area- all resources in one place and relevant voc/children's work.
    A maths area- all resources- number lines, squares, calculators etc. easily accessible to children and relevant voc/children's work.
    A science area- as above and lots of books and things for children to explore (relevant to topic) and science coats, scientist at work badges- get a group working here in science lessons.
    My topic display is also role play area.
    Have a second language corner with a box of role play stuff useful for lessons.
    And I have an IT and art area- basically a couple of laptops and space to store art/writing stuff and a washing line to hang work.
    Doesn't matter how big or small your classroom I always find it helps to have well defined areas. I personally wouldn't overdo ********** if I were you but agree communications4all is great as well.

8. Thank you so much for all of your help, some brilliant ideas here! Going in to school on Monday to sort it all out :)

9. I also have a Rewards board with Table of the Week, handwriter OTW, star OTW etc on it to keep them focused and motivated.
    A Thinking Skills display is also a good idea - interactive and the children love it.
    Enjoy setting up your classroom - it's a good feeling when you get it done and it looks great ready for your new class who will no doubt love it!
    J [​IMG]

10. Teachersp1

Teachersp1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I really like the idea of having different areas in the classroom @Olivia_B but my classroom is quite small. Plus where can I get science lab coats?
    I really want to keep the 'continuous provision' type look

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What a kind and helpful post :)

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Indeed and from 8 years ago. Wonder what that poster is doing now.:)

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Hope she's gone on to great things .

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I agree.
    And all the other posters here aren't ones who post regularly now.
    All those new teachers 8 years ago...hope they are all still teaching and just as excited for the new term as they were then.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Lab Coats are here...but don't buy them yourself, get your school to do so.
    Or speak to a local secondary, they might have some old ones to get rid of.

16. Teachersp1

Teachersp1 New commenter