1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Class Novels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I read my Y3s 'Disaster With The Fiend' by Sheila Lavelle. I loved it when I was their age but I was a bookish dork and I should have factored that in. Some of them loved it and wriggled with delight at the badass stuff Angela gets up to, others didn't really get it. I thinkit's a bit dated, too. Aww.
    I'm still kind of working to find their 'level'. I read them a picture book today that I'd never heard of, called 'Salty & Button' and they loved it. Because the story is so simple, I could stretch some of them with harder questions about characterisation, asking them to infer stuff etc. and not lose the LAs. I'm not exactly sure of a novel of the same level...
    Off the top of my head, I'm going to dig out to see if they're suitable (they might not be) George Speaks, by Dick King-Smith and The Worst Witch.
    The only book I remember being read to the class when I was in Y3 was the Iron Man by Ted Hughes. And I remember thinking it was the most BORING book ever haha [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Y3 are currently reading [​IMG]

Y2 have just begun
    [​IMG]

3. I would agree with anything by Dick King-Smith. Some of the shorter Roald Dahl books like George's Marvellous Medicine, The Twits etc. Jeremy Strong books are very funny so will draw in all abilities but there are lots of higher level questions you can draw from them as well.