1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 class, is reducing a child to tears really a common practice way to teach emotions??

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by chellerennie, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Hi all
    My son came out off school today to inform me that a child was sent out of the room during a lesson, whilst he was out of the room the teacher told the class that when he came back in they were to " not speak to him and make him feel unwelcome, if he comes near you say eerrr and he smells" The child returned to the class and some of the children did as they were asked reducing the child to tears. Whilst the child stood there sobbing the TA and teacher were sat laughing at child. My son was very distressed to witness this at the age of 7 and has requested not to return to school. I phoned the headteacher immediately and was informed that I was over-reacting and it was a role play lesson to teach the children emotion. The head teacher informed me that this is a commonly used lesson plan and part of the national curriculum. I teach 16-18 so this is not my area so could really do with some feedback from those familiar with teaching PSHE in primary school please. Many thanks

2. Hi all
    My son came out off school today to inform me that a child was sent out of the room during a lesson, whilst he was out of the room the teacher told the class that when he came back in they were to " not speak to him and make him feel unwelcome, if he comes near you say eerrr and he smells" The child returned to the class and some of the children did as they were asked reducing the child to tears. Whilst the child stood there sobbing the TA and teacher were sat laughing at child. My son was very distressed to witness this at the age of 7 and has requested not to return to school. I phoned the headteacher immediately and was informed that I was over-reacting and it was a role play lesson to teach the children emotion. The head teacher informed me that this is a commonly used lesson plan and part of the national curriculum. I teach 16-18 so this is not my area so could really do with some feedback from those familiar with teaching PSHE in primary school please. Many thanks

3. forestje

forestje New commenter

Am surpised that after the traffic you caused over the weekend regarding your post on Primary that you cannot be bothered to reply.