1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 boys

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by pintsizedblondie, Jan 16, 2014.

1. pintsizedblondie

pintsizedblondie New commenter

I am an NQT who has just taken over a Year 3 class in January from their teacher who went on maternity leave. There are 26 children in the class, more boys than girls. I have 4 or 5 boys within the class who are quite a handful behaviour wise. They think nothing of talking over you when you are talking, getting up out of their seats, answering back and generally messing about/wasting time. Once one of them starts playing up this usually sets the rest off.

I've tried a traffic light system, putting their names on the board, taking 1/2/3 minutes of playtime off them, giving them a stern few words or a pointed look. I have also implemented 5 golden rules to refer to and bring children back to when they do not follow.

My question is that although I have seen slight improvements since starting last week (the mornings are always better than the afternoons), I am still having problems with this group of boys, should I persevere with my strategies or try something different?

I know getting the behaviour under control will not happen over night, but I am conscious that unless I show these boys that I can manage them, they will think they can do whatever they like.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

I suggest you read the post by Dejana under another post on this form titled Help with Low Level Disruption which is a couple of posts below this one. The poster gives a lot of advice on a situation similar to yours.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Keep doing what you're doing; it takes ages with some classes and kids before the behaviour settles down. What they need is consistency, routine and the dependability of having a teacher who won't back down. They'll get the message.

Stay on target.

Tom

4. elizabeth20132

elizabeth20132 New commenter

Keep going, you'll get there. The key thing is to follow through and be consistant. So if you say they will miss some of lunchtime make sure they do.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Yep to all the above.

Try not to use your voice too much, body language and demonstrative actions often work wonders. For example, don't tell them that you are going to put their names on the board, just walk to the board in a very purposeful manner and write them on it. Also, write on the board 'X Y Z owe Miss B xxx minutes of their playtime'. A stop watch with an audible beep is useful, it's amazing how quickly they shut up when they realise you are keeping track of the time that they owe you.

Segregate the 'naughty' boys whenever possible: no sitting together on the carpet, no working together in groups etc. Praise those that choose the right behaviour - but not too lavishly. They'll soon get the message that you are in charge and they are not.