1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Assessments- HELP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JCA_1989, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi there I'm an NQT in Year 3. I have a very able class and the majority of them are progressing well and coping with the transition well, I do however have 4/5 quite low ability children who are working at levels ranging from 1a-2b in reading. The rest of the class are working between 2a and 4c in reading.

When it comes to assessments, the lower children struggle to access the texts as well as the wording of the questions and therefore have been coming out with pretty low reading scores in recent assessments, simply because they spend all their time trying to decode the words, and being unable to comprehend what is being inferred in the text.
    All year I have drilled phonics and extra reading support for them, without really delving into comprehension questions with them.

Yet I recently gave them all a Year 2 paper, where most questions were multiple choice (the wording was much more simple) and they showed good progress from last year. I have done a few tests, so can pretty much rule out lucky guesses!

I was wondering whether I should continue to assess them using Year 2 materials (seen as though they are working from Year 2 objectives most of the time). Or is this going to create more problems for the next teacher. My worry is they could feasibly come out with 2b-2a scores on Year 2 papers but dip back to 1b-2c on Year 3 papers, therefore their attainment could dip next year when faced with longer texts.

Sorry if this post seems a bit mixed up, kind of mirrors the workings of my brain at the moment.

Any help is really appreciated!

JCA

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yes. Stick to Year 2 assessments if that is the level they are at. Year 3 papers are harder and the less able kids just give up after a few pages.

3. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you can't score lower than a 2c on a Y3 paper so it's just classed as below level 2? I do give a few of my very low ability kids a KS1 paper.

4. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Exactly and as some and only working at 1a, they may not score. The only thing is, is when they attempt the Year 2 paper, they come out with 2 sub levels higher than they do on the year 3 paper.
    Not exactly sure what to do?...