1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3/4 - Your favourite shared book

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PrimaryBox, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ExplorePrimary

ExplorePrimary New commenter

What books have you read recently with your class? Doesn't need to have planning related to it - just looking for some recommendations before I have a library/eBay hunt this week!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We liked The Iron Man and Fantastic Mr Fox.
    They liked Stig of the Dump and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but I didn't like either very much.
    James and the Giant Peach was also a success.

hannahl1 likes this.
  3. ExplorePrimary

ExplorePrimary New commenter

I would love to read The Iron Man/Fantastic Mr Fox with mine but we do literacy on a 2 year rota for Y3/4 and they are proposed for next year - they loved them both too :)

4. teachercellar

teachercellar Occasional commenter

The Twits and Charlotte's Web are firm favourites oh and James and the Giant Peach

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Could do any of the Roald Dahl books to be honest.
    Perfect for year 3s.
    Mine also like the Shakespeare Stories from Orchard Myths (think that's who they are???).

6. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Cirque Du Freak (the 1st book) by Darren Shan- the kids went crazy for it. Nice short chapters too...

8. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

For reading to my Year 4 class - Measle and the Wraithmonk by Ian Ogilvy, Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo and The Firework-maker's daughter by Michael Mupurgo. Love using The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry and The Vanishing Rainforest by Richard Platt for stories that raise issues (linked to Habitats topic).

9. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Mr Gum for Y3.

10. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

For Year 3:
    Hamish and the World Stoppers by Danny Wallace (and sequels)
    To Be A Cat by Matt Haig
    The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones by Will Mabbitt
    The Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher

11. caterpillartobutterfly

Never heard of this, but love the sound of it. We do dinosaurs in the Autumn term in year 3 so this would work brilliantly.
    I did read one, which the children loved, about dinosaurs. But it had really, really long words in it and I should have read it through myself first. But modelling sounding out is always a good thing...:confused:
    Can't remember what it was called, but it was about two families of dinosaurs who each thought each other wasn't great. The child dinosaurs brought them all together and helped save everyone from a cross tyrannosaurus.

12. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

I started reading it in the run up to Christmas and it was brilliant. Several other teachers bought the book and lots of the children requested it for Christmas. It was only published October last year so is very new. If Tom Fletcher publishes any more novels I would buy them without a second thought. Also, 'more-able' Year 3s could read this independently, but it reads aloud so beautifully.