1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3/4 planning, help required!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenhroberts, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am just going in to my third year of teaching this year and will have a mixed class Year 3/4. I have previously taught Year 1 and Year 3. I am quite apprehensive about the planning for a mixed class, especially as my school is overdue an OFSTED inspection. Does anyone have any sage advice? Or potentially mixed age planning?
    Would be grateful to receive any advice. x

2. Hi all,
    I am just going in to my third year of teaching this year and will have a mixed class Year 3/4. I have previously taught Year 1 and Year 3. I am quite apprehensive about the planning for a mixed class, especially as my school is overdue an OFSTED inspection. Does anyone have any sage advice? Or potentially mixed age planning?
    Would be grateful to receive any advice. x

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Hi there, have taught Y3/4 for 8 years now so would be happy to help. What type of planning are you worried about? Do you teach topics of straight subjects? Let me know & I'll see what you can do. [​IMG]

5. Hi there,
    We have a 2 year rolling programme for all subjects. This is the 2nd year we have been topic teaching and literacy is intergrated into it.
    For literacy and numeracy, I tend to look at the majority of my class and decide if they need a Y3 curriculm-and then extend the more able with Y4 objectives or the other way around. All taught a Y4 curriculum and for the lower ability groups have Y3 objectives. So for example in numeracy I might teach a whole class objective about 2d shape that the whole class can access and extend my more able. When the children are working in groups I normally have 3 tasks. A high task, middle ability & low ability based on the mixed objectives.
    The groups I have are completely based on ability not year groups. Don't panic about it, you could have the same ability span in just a Y3 class, so you just teach as you would normally.
    Hope this helps!