1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3/4 class book to go with hidden world topic!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by natalie28, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Bump...

2. The Secret Garden - the old classic all about a secret grden :p
    The Tunnel - Anthony Browne - Also links to adventure and mystery unit of work
    The Secret of Platform 13 - Eva Ibbotson - fantasy environment setting but great for sparking the imagination about habitats and worlds. Very useful comparing to setting of HArry Potter, Chapter 1 I love!
    Those are the few off the top of my head.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've just used The Spiderwick Chronicles with Y2 the hidden world of faeries around us all

4. Stig of the Dump - but read it first, it's got some old fashioned stereo typing in it (and kids SMOKING!!).

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

The Borrowers spring to mind ...

6. I think Tom's Midnight Garden is quite tricky, especially for Y3. I used it with my more able Y4s last year and they struggled. I wish I'd left it until Y5. The Tunnel is great, though, as are Stig Of The Dump and The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe - great DVD too.

7. If you can get a copy, Rebecca's World by Terry Nation.
    [​IMG]

8. Thanks for all the ideas!!! :) I have got the tunnel and was wondering about The secret garden but wanted something a little more animals based maybe. Will have a look at all the others? Thanks so far! :)

9. I would have the second 'The Secret of Platform 13'. I'm half way through it with my year 3/4 class and they absolutely adore it. Plus it's all about a secret world, so quite a good link with your hidden world topic. It's got lots of fantastic vocab and description and is something most of the children of that age wouldn't be able to access on their own.