1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 20 minute interview lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claire-read, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hi!

I have an interview next Tuesday and have to prepare a 20 minute maths lesson for a year 3 class. I was thinking of doing something to do with problem solving, and thought about this as a possible idea:

Giving the children a scenario where 2 children find a bingo game, and want to play, but can only find the numbers 1-5. They decide to try and make as many of the other numbers as they can, using the numbers they have, and addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Children in pairs then have to try and work out which numbers they can make.

Can anyone give me any advice on this idea - would it be suitable for year 3, and is it do-able in 20 mins?!

Thanks!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No thought of a learning objective at all?

3. To solve problems by identifying relationships in number maybe? I think this would fit with the activity

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You know, the LO really ought to drive the activity, not just 'fit' with an activity you like.

5. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

This sounds good. When I've taught problem solving in job interviews, I always find that shape and number are really good to teach. A lesson I taught in 20 minutes to year 3 involved giving children horizontal ladders with a line clearly marked through the middle. After revisiting shape properties and talking about regular and irregular shapes in the introduction, we talked about the activity, I gave them 5 minutes to set a shape pattern for their partner to solve. You can also provide shapes so children can choose how simple to make their patterns. Then they swapped with a partner. I wish you good luck! xx

6. That's not what I meant, of course I had the LO in mind first, I meant that the activity would fit with the learning objective - could have worded it better

7. Sounds like a good idea to me and easy to differentiate.

If you check the objectives for y3, you might find something to do with manipulating the four number operations.

8. Thanks! Starting to lose confidence in myself as its my 6th interview! Thought the easiest way to differentiate would be to give them an extra challenge to only use each number once, but the lower attainers if they are not confident with this can use the numbers as many time as they like - sort of self-differentiation as I obviously won't know the children

9. I also want to make sure that I can assess what progress the children have made, as I have had feedback about children not making much progress in the last interview I went to. Any ideas as to how I could quickly assess the progress at the end of the lesson as a plenary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

10. Good question about assessment and on deeper reflection, what if you were asked what have you actually taught them?

Not sure this particular activity would cover you on either base - not in a 20 minute block anyway. Perhaps time for a re-think.

11. It is so hard to actually teach them much in 20 minutes, if the learning objective is "to become confident in manipulating the 4 operations to solve problems" then I thought of doing some sort of self assessment at the end, so that I could target individual pupils progress if they ask about it in the interview.