1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauraarchibald, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I'm new to Year 2 and struggling with my timetable. I was also interested in how many times Yr2 teachers hear their children read, in groups or 1:1. Can anyone help?

2. I'm new to Year 2 and struggling with my timetable. I was also interested in how many times Yr2 teachers hear their children read, in groups or 1:1. Can anyone help?

3. There was a thread on hearing readers in Year 2 recently, so it might be worth searching. It varies, but I hear all my children read once a week through guided reading. All the children also get heard reading individually once a week by parent volunteers (also bit of help from TAs where there is time). My five lowest readers are heard daily by volunteers or TAs. I hear the children read invidually when I want to check their levels, or are concerned because of something I have spotted in their guided read. I am lucky as I have lots of parents willing to come in and currently have six parents who come in.

4. I'm in year 2 and have 5 different levelled groups, I try to hear them all twice a week in guided reading. My lowest group are heard individually by the TA 3times a week and then the next group up from there once a week individually. The others are only heard individually to do the assessment before moving them up a level.

5. I have mixed Y1/2. I hear Y1 individually one week, Y2 the next. I also hear every child in a guided reading group everye week (barring school trips, illness, fire alarms etc!)
    On the week they're not reading with me they get heard once a week individually by parent helpers or TAs and we try for the weakest to be heard 3 times a week.
    It doesn't always work like that though, and the head has been having a big push on reading so I have full permission to keep them out of assemblies etc (and not go in myself) to make this happen.