1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 work: Books or Folders?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by babelfish, Jun 11, 2011.

1. I was wondering how others organise the childrens work in year 2. I currently use a mix of folders and books but was looking for idea/suggestions for how to organise work next year.
    Do you use folders for literacy/ Maths/Topic? If so which ones and are they A4? A3?
    or do you use exercise books? If so:
    For Maths:
    Size of Square?
    A5 or A4 books?
    For Literacy:
    Size of Lines?
    A5 or A4 books?
    Is there space for a picture ?
    For topic books- what do you use?
    Do you have 'rough' books?

Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Books
    A4
    English can't remember the size but quite narrow possibly 8mm? with a margin no space for a picture
    Maths small squares for maths also A4
    Topic half ruled half plain
    also have hand writing books and jotters

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Similar to Msz for yr 2. English books have 10mm spacing(8mm in KS2), maths books have cm quares, topic and science books are half plain/half ruled, RE books the same but A5

4. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

Where do you get 10mm A4 books from? Ideally I'd like A4 10mm lines alt plain and lined for English and Topic. Having to make do with 15mm at the moment cos they're all I can find. 10mm squared A4 for maths; smaller 1/2 lined, 1/2 plain 10mm lines for dictation. That's it. Use lined whiteboards for handwriting.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

ESPO ( our purchasing organisation) has them
    I've just had great fun sorting out books for next year. I think I've managed to get practically every book in a different colour!

6. Thanks for the replies guys, this has given me a lot to think about. I think I would prefer to use mostly exercise books, but only if I can get them in the right size/format. I like the idea of having A4 books with slightly larger lines for my more able as it encourages them to write more but without the restriction of narrow lines at the start of the year. For maths I am thinking A4 cm squared are good, because the books are bigger than the A5 ones I currently use and have more room for working out. For folders I am as yet undecided. I want to try to get the class to be able to independently organise their work next year, so will keep thinking for a while...

Keep the ideas coming!