1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 units in Year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I am taking over a year one class and the teacher has given me the units i am to teach in the summer term. However, some of the Foundation units are Year 2 units. For example, in Science, i am meant to be doing Forces and Moovement which is a Year 2 unit. Also, for Art i have been given Picture This which is also Year 2. Do some schools use Year 2 units in the Summer Term for Year 1?

2. I am taking over a year one class and the teacher has given me the units i am to teach in the summer term. However, some of the Foundation units are Year 2 units. For example, in Science, i am meant to be doing Forces and Moovement which is a Year 2 unit. Also, for Art i have been given Picture This which is also Year 2. Do some schools use Year 2 units in the Summer Term for Year 1?

3. inq

inq

The QCA units are not statutory and so as long as the NC objectives are covered you can teach what you want when you want within a KS. We have mixed and matched some of the old QCA units and incorporated bits of them in Y1 and Y2 so that they fit more appropriately with our topics.

4. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about this. You might want to adapt some of the activities if you don't feel that they will suit the children when you get to know them but otherwise the units are not set in stone. If it were me, I would however subtly check the Science unit with the Y2 teacher to check that it is not taught in Yr as well. Either way, the forces and movement unit is very similar to the Y1 unit Pushes & Pulls.
    Either the school has rearranged the units as a whole school and that is what you will have to teach or the teacher you are taking over from is a crackpot and you cansort it out once you are in place.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

5. Lol Superwomaina that made me laugh.

Well that's a relief...i thought I was going crazy. I always worry about asking these questions incase the answer is really obvious! hahaha

But yeah I did worry about it being re-taught in Year 2.

Thank you for that. :D

Pocoyo. x