1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Traditional Tales

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosieandjim, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I feel really silly asking this question, but l have searched everywhere and cannot find the answer. I am currently doing the traditional tales unit with my year 2 class. We have been looking at Jack and the Beanstalk and so far we have started to learn the story in the style of Pie Corbett, we have made a story map. We have thought of good adjectives to describe Jack and the Giant and we have written a character description of Jack. We have looked at the language of a traditiona tale. Now this is where l sam stuck. Do l need to get the children to write the story of Jack and the Beanstalk in their own words or do l now need to move on to them changing the Jack and the Beanstalk story in some way adn writing their own innovation. If this is the case how much do l need to change the original story.
    Thank you for any suggestions that you may be able to offer.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have recently finished this topic, but used Hansel and Gretel.

When it came to writing their own, the children changed:

characters, but had to keep two main ones and a baddie to escape from;

setting

what they did to escape.
    Some kept everything else the same and some didn't (differentiation).

3. I am amazed that we need to ask questions like this. I am not denigrating the OP, I sympathise with her anxiety to get it right. But I'm just thinking that the belief that we need to know how it is done is symptomatic of a profession running scared of putting a foot wrong. Is this what OFSTED and the double-talk of 'satisfactory' has done to us?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I read it more as asking for suggestions due to being unsure as to the best way to proceed.

I only moved to year 2 this year and so have asked for lots and lots of advice on all kinds of things. It is not so much a fear of being wrong as asking what others do to get it right first time.

5. Maybe. But we should have the confidence that, as trained professionals, we can get it right for ourselves... Adopting another person's way of doing it in a different set of circumstances is not guaranteed to work.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I worry that, in doing one story in such depth, we make for ourselves the excuse that we 'don't have time' to tell the children lots of traditional tales that deal with the same themes and, up to a point, plots, so that they begin to gain a sense of story through familiarisation.

Not well expressed - sorry - but you can do a good story to death when your time might be better spent just telling more stories and getting the chilren to spot similarities etc.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I read East of the Sun and West of the Moon and The Princess and the White Bear King and the children noticed the similarities with Beauty and the Beast

8. roise

roise New commenter

Hi, we looked at the Three Little Pigs (linked to topic on megastructures), We acted out the story, retold it and then looked at examples where authors had changed the story like the The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig and the True Story of the Three Little Pigs. At the same time we read a wide range of other fairy tales especially the old ladybird versions because they use really good story book language. The children then wrote their own fairy tales with three little somethings and a big bad something. They could decide how far they wanted to go from the original structure according to their ability and confidence. They really enjoyed it and wrote some great stories. I have in the past used Red Riding Hood to do the same kind of thing. With Jack and the Beanstalk you could look at Jim and the Beanstalk by Raymond Briggs if you wanted an alternative story to compare it to.

9. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We did a very similar thing. We innovated the Three Little Pigs and the children also chose new materials for the houses etc. We had some fab stories by the end of it. We also looked at the story from an alternative perspective and did some writing in role. My class loved this unit!

10. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions so far. I am only in my second year of teaching and l work at a very small school where l do not have anyone to plan with and although the other staff are great l get very little support. Our school desperately needs to improve its writing and l have been set a pretty difficult literacy target by my head. I have asked for guidance many times. HI have asked to liase wih more experienced teachers a t other schools, but it never happens. I just want to get it right and do a good job. Sorry if that sounds cheesey. I have a really enthusiastic bunch of children and l still feel l would like to know what l am really aiming for. I have a few examples of what my writing should look, but l just think sometimes it is so conflicting and people have so many different opinions. TES has been my lifeline on more than one occasion. Thank you kind folk.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree to a point. But I trained as a secondary maths teacher, spent 15 years teaching years 5- 11 and this year moved to year 2. I actually don't have a clue about a fair bit and am learning as I go along. So a bit of help here and there is very much welcome!