1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 topics: advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jun 29, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

you might have already read my previous posts but our ks1 team is reviewing our topics, trying to set up a 2 year cycle. We're looking at new topics to include. I was wondering if people would mind giving me advice/their opinions on my ideas so far
    <u>Autumn term: Castle</u>
    houses and homes, traditional tales, william the conqueror

<u>Spring term: Roald Dahl</u>
    extended stories, significant author, changing materials (chocolate linked to charlie and choc factory), health and medicines (linked to georges marvellous medicine), moving crocodile (linked to enormous crocodile)

<u>Summer term: Heroes and superheroes</u>
    havent quite got this far yet!!!

Year 2 of the cycle has australia, victorians and recycling as main topics

Any advice/opinions/comments would be much appreciated before i share my ideas with my team

2. gld202

gld202 New commenter

Hi,
    I might be too late with this, but I have a year 1/2 class and we did 'Castles and Knights' as a topic last year. My children absolutely loved this topic and there is so much you can do with it.
    At the end we did a 'Knighting Ceremony' where I invited the parents in and they shared the work they had done, performed a medieval dance, and then we knighted them and they each got a certificate.
    I also used scrolls to give them their tasks, that were written to them from a knight, and they really believed this, and it made them really want to do all of the tasks.
    It was great fun for me as well!