1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Teachers - Some Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by boomdeaye, May 9, 2012.

1. Hello,

I have an interview this Friday and have been asked to teach a 30 minute Literacy lesson with a Year 2 class.
    I've never taught KS1 before as my teaching placements were with Year 4 and 5 so I'm a bit unsure about where to pitch my lesson. This isn't a begging post for ideas - I would just like a bit of advice about whether what I have planned is appropriate. Thanks in advance :)

LO: To write a poem using similes

Introduction: Ask the children if any of them know what a simile is. Read the following poem off the IWB (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/poetryplease_thewriter.shtml). Explain what a simile is and then ask them to use talk partners to complete the following similes - Tall as a .... , Small as a .... and Brave as a ... Model writing them on the IWB.

Explain task. They will be writing a list poem about themselves using similes.

Success Criteria:

My simile is imaginative
    My simile needs to make sense

Not sure if I should provide the first lines on the IWB and they finish those, they can write more or provide templates with sentence starters?

Differentiation:
    HA: Can write alliterative similes
    MA: Word bank of similes
    LA: Word / Picture bank of similes. Work with a partner to complete poem.

Not sure if there is a TA in the classroom, so I planned to try and base myself with the LA group to get them started and then move around the class and read out good examples from each table and refer back to the success criteria.

Plenary: Call children back and ask do they all know what a simile is. Write on the IWB using the children?s names ?Daisy is tall & Kyle is brave. Ask children how I could improve that sentence? Why do you think we use similes? Using a suggestion from a few children, write a new list poem on the IWB and read it together.

I only have 30 minutes so I?m not expecting everyone to complete a poem, but thought everyone should at least have written or identified one.Bit worried about how accessible this lesson is for SEN and EAL children, which is why I thought about having the sentence starters and pictures on a worksheet and the children match them up.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

P.S ? This is still a bit of a work in progress so apologise if it?s a bit difficult to follow.

2. Hello,

I have an interview this Friday and have been asked to teach a 30 minute Literacy lesson with a Year 2 class.
    I've never taught KS1 before as my teaching placements were with Year 4 and 5 so I'm a bit unsure about where to pitch my lesson. This isn't a begging post for ideas - I would just like a bit of advice about whether what I have planned is appropriate. Thanks in advance :)

LO: To write a poem using similes

Introduction: Ask the children if any of them know what a simile is. Read the following poem off the IWB (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/poetryplease_thewriter.shtml). Explain what a simile is and then ask them to use talk partners to complete the following similes - Tall as a .... , Small as a .... and Brave as a ... Model writing them on the IWB.

Explain task. They will be writing a list poem about themselves using similes.

Success Criteria:

My simile is imaginative
    My simile needs to make sense

Not sure if I should provide the first lines on the IWB and they finish those, they can write more or provide templates with sentence starters?

Differentiation:
    HA: Can write alliterative similes
    MA: Word bank of similes
    LA: Word / Picture bank of similes. Work with a partner to complete poem.

Not sure if there is a TA in the classroom, so I planned to try and base myself with the LA group to get them started and then move around the class and read out good examples from each table and refer back to the success criteria.

Plenary: Call children back and ask do they all know what a simile is. Write on the IWB using the children?s names ?Daisy is tall & Kyle is brave. Ask children how I could improve that sentence? Why do you think we use similes? Using a suggestion from a few children, write a new list poem on the IWB and read it together.

I only have 30 minutes so I?m not expecting everyone to complete a poem, but thought everyone should at least have written or identified one.Bit worried about how accessible this lesson is for SEN and EAL children, which is why I thought about having the sentence starters and pictures on a worksheet and the children match them up.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

P.S ? This is still a bit of a work in progress so apologise if it?s a bit difficult to follow.

3. Hmmm. Lots of work obviously gone into this but (having taught ks1 for some years, year 2 for the last 4) I would say this is too much pitched too high, especially as you only have 30 minutes. Count out at LEAST 5 minutes of this (often more) if you are planning on moving the children between activities!
    Do you have any info on the levels in the class you'll be teaching? EAL? SEN?

4. Arrrgghhh! While I wrote this using paragraphs, they seem to have disappeared! Sorry

5. Hi - thank you for replying (and reading). I haven't been given any information on any of the levels of the class but have been asked to incorporate elements that are accessible for SEN and EAL children.

So you think I should drop the simile idea all together?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This would work well for all but 2 of my year 2 class. But they have significant SEN, so definitely ring the school and ask about levels.

My class love similes, but be aware you will get some odd answers, so do ask for why they chose what they did.

Maybe consider a card choosing activity where they can select the word that best fits? Or something else more practical?

7. Thank you - that's a good idea about the cards. My other idea was bringing in a box of objects for them to match the similes to but was worried it might take too much time setting up

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Box of objects is always good.

9. I like the use of pictures for the LA/EAL. I would use the poem (not sure of the missing word as it wasn't showing it to me online, so heres hoping it isn't a rude word that rhymes with lick!) and encourage the children to act it out with you, to feel being as tall as a tree etc. They could then move onto coming up with a couple with you and then could work in pairs, doing some drama and then coming up with imaginative similes, recorded on paper or whiteboards, or then move onto your task.

10. The missing word is 'tick' so no rude words! I really like the drama element and had planned on doing something similar.
    Would be nice if I could get each table to perform their poem to the class with each pair doing a line each but worried about time.

Thank you everyone who has responded. It's given me a lot to think about.

11. Ooh I am relieved! I wonder why it hid it from me? I thought of a clever ***** you see! Good luck.

12. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

This would be pitched too low for mine. Can all use similes really well. I would love at generating some similes first, ie as brave as a lion, then work on improving them, ie as brave as a ferocious lion etc

13. Without knowing the levels of the class I am teaching, it might be that I have to access how hard/easy they are finding the lesson and change it accordingly. Hope the interview panel don't mind me doing that as long as I indicate it in my plan

14. Just a quick note to say a big thank you to everyone that posted as I got the job!!

15. Well done!

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well done you!! Fantastic.

17. Great. I really thought your original idea was maybe too tricky to try at interview but glad to be proved wrong. I hope I'm not turning into one of those ' my lot could never do that' type teachers!![​IMG]

Anyway, well done!