1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 summer homework

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jul 13, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I need to set my new yr2's some summer homework, which has to include an optional challenge task. I was thinking of asking them to send/bring in a postcard about their holidays, ready for a display, but cant decide on a challenge piece. Yr1's is to design a flag about themselves linking to our castle topic, i want to do something similar without doing the same thing! Any ideas?

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Is this your school's policy?What a shame they can't just enjoy a complete break from school. Sorry can't be more constructive, I just think it's not a good idea for young children to have "homework" hanging over them during Summer.

3. Who on earth has suggested that they have summer holiday homework?
    If I was a parent I would completely refuse to do it.

4. AAARGH - who's going to mark it? Why are you doing it? It's a holiday
    If you must, why not ask them to keep a record of what they have read this summer, books, comics, magazines - anything that interests them or, if you are focused on your next topic, anything to do with that or they could collect info or pictures.

5. rainbowdrop86

Gee, thanks for the really helpful replies!!!! I wouldnt be asking unless it was policy, the idea of marking them all doesnt exactly make me smile!! Its school policy, every year group has to do it!
    So, any ideas??

6. I have to say as a parent I always love the fact that there is no homework in the Summer holidays! We don't do Summer holiday work at my school. I may be ignorant here, but I didn't think anyone set work over the Summer. Possibly it is just my school though. I would keep it really simple. Maybe they could design a coat of arms or something, representing it in any way they like.

7. rainbowdrop86

ah, gee, really helpful replies!!!!
    its school policy, and no the marking isnt fantastic!!!
    any ideas??

8. rainbowdrop86

didnt think my first reply went through!!! sorry!!

9. Could they research an interesting fact that they don't think anyone else will know about castles/castle life?

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL Don't you love it when you ask a question and everyone just says it is a daft idea!?!

I would give them all a blank postcard with the school's address on one side with a stamp ready on it. They just need to write the other side or draw and then post it. They can post it from anywhere they wish. (To save time, you can make 4 from A4 card so copy and paste the address and print out lots.)

For a challenge: They could write a letter instead? Visit a caste and bring in an artefact/souvenir? Draw what they think someone in a castle looks like? Draw what they think the inside of a caste looks like?

Definitely a drawing or bringing in homework so you don't need to mark anything.

11. rainbowdrop86

thank you minnie minx! I might give them a choice of all those things

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Choice would be good, because then you would end up with a fabulous and varied display.

Choice is good for homework anyway. We used learning logs this year in year 6 and I'm thinking of persuading the other year 2 teacher to use them next year as they are great.

13. How about a scrapbook and ask them to put in holiday information - pictures, drawings, writing, photos etc.
    Challenge: fill it.

14. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I don't want to jump on the band wagon and berate your school policy, fruitloop, but i'm genuinely interested as to why a greater power has decided that homework should be set over the holiday.
    As a suggestion for the extension, how about make a castle/artefact?!! <u>Some</u> will love it, and <u>some </u>parents might like the fact that the children have something arty to do!!

15. natbar

natbar New commenter

Hi
    Last year when my son was moving from yr1 to yr2 we (by choice) compiled a diary of all the things that we did in the summer holidays. He stuck in tickets from day trips, drew pictures of fun/interesting things that we saw/did, and wrote 3 sentences about each thing. As a mean Mummy I made him check his work for capital letters, full stops etc! These were his targets for literacy so kept the practice up over the six weeks.
    Yes sometimes he couldn't be bothered, but on the whole he enjoyed doing it, also when he took it into school in September he was given a Headteacher's award for his hard work. As a parent it is a lovely keepsake, but it was also relevant to his interests. Personally if you have to do summer homework I would go down this route as when you are marking the work you will get to know more about your new class.
    As a challange they could bring a special object in from one of the things they did in the hols, with a short report of what it is, where it came from, what it does etc. These can then be shared in circle time?
    Hope this helps!

16. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we had a temp head last year who wanted to set summer holiday homework. we told her point blank that we weren't prepared to give it or mark it, and very few of the kids would actually DO it.
    she was leaving before the holidays even started! i'd like to have been a fly on the wall if she had gone ahead, and parents had told her what they thought. she made herself very unpopular with them during the term she was ther.