1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 - Stories with a familiar setting linked to Healthy Eating

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lavada, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm trying to plan the unit of work for stories with a familiar setting linked to our topic on Healthy Eating but i'm finding it difficult to find suitable books to use. In Year 1 the chn used Dogger and The Tiger who came to Tea so I am trying to think of some different examples. I would be really grateful if anyone could suggest any books that they have used.
    Thanks

2. What about Oliver's Vegetables, Oliver's Fruit Salad and Oliver's Milkshake all by Vivian French?

3. Thanks for your really quick response! Definitely think i'll use Oliver's Milkshake as it will link in nicely to when we make smoothies for our instructional writing. Any more suggestions would be great!

4. roise

roise New commenter

I will never not ever eat a tomato by Lauren Child

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Deffo the Lauren Child one, it's fab!

6. How about A Piece of Cake by Jill Murphy? It's one of the Large Family stories, and concerns the mother going on a fitness regime and forcing her entire family to follow suit. Although the Larges are humanoid elephants, they pretty much make for a regular family living in a typical British suburbia. I looked through a suggested reading list posted in the TES resources, and another Large family book (Five Minutes Peace) was suggested as a book to fit into the familiar setting module, so it could very well work.
    Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piece-Cake-Large-Family/dp/184428526X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310245088&sr=1-2

7. Another really funny one is 'Sam's Sandwich' if you can get hold of a copy - not sure if out of print (I got mine on Ebay)
    iThe book is actually a sandwich with each page as a new food in the sandwich and is about Saa making a sandwich for his greedy sister Samatha and adding a lovely little surpirse to each layer of the sandwich for her ...such as a wriggly worm etc
    All in rhyme too and the children LOVE it!!