1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 science- PGCE student needing help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jollypocket, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hello

I am a PGCE student in a year 2 class. I need to do an assignment based around a science activity with 4 children, lasting around 20 minutes. The focus is on learning through experiment and investigation. The class have been learning about why we need food and exercise, and I don't think it would be right to deviate from this for the sake of my assignment. However, I am drawing a blank as to what activity I can do within this area that is sufficiently creative and investigative to meet the criteria of the assignment!

I would really appreciate any ideas!

Thanks.

2. Hello

I am a PGCE student in a year 2 class. I need to do an assignment based around a science activity with 4 children, lasting around 20 minutes. The focus is on learning through experiment and investigation. The class have been learning about why we need food and exercise, and I don't think it would be right to deviate from this for the sake of my assignment. However, I am drawing a blank as to what activity I can do within this area that is sufficiently creative and investigative to meet the criteria of the assignment!

I would really appreciate any ideas!

Thanks.

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Something to do with how exercise affects heart rate. Take pulse before exercise, straight after and then again once rested. Make a prediction first etc

4. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

HA - I was just about to say what the previous poster said.
    Great minds think alike.....

5. Thanks, considered doing that but wasn't sure if it was ok!

Do you use a particular written framework for science experiments? Would this be appropriate for such a short activity? It is a bit artificial, because in real life I would spend as much time as needed on it and have more time to write up/reflect. I was thinking along the lines of measuring resting pulse rate, getting the children to predict what they think might happen after exercise, exercise and measure pulse and then talk about why it might have gone up. How much input do I need to put in for year 2? How deeply do we need to discuss findings?

Sorry for silly questions, but I'm so used to foundation stage that my year 2 placement has come with a bit of a shock!

(apologies if this submits in one big block of text- haven't worked out how to make my paragraphs work!)