1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Science Investigation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by boakleesk, Jan 20, 2011.

1. HELP !!! I need to plan an investigation with partic relvance to planning a fair test. I am doing plants so thought I would run with the "what do plants need to grow" aspect and get the children to plant cress seeds under different conditions - 1 with soil, air, light and water, 1 with soil, air and light, 1 with soil, air, and water, 1 with soil, light and water and the final one with just air, water and light. Is this a fair test??? I am geting myself all confused about the changing variables etc.
    Thanks

2. HELP !!! I need to plan an investigation with partic relvance to planning a fair test. I am doing plants so thought I would run with the "what do plants need to grow" aspect and get the children to plant cress seeds under different conditions - 1 with soil, air, light and water, 1 with soil, air and light, 1 with soil, air, and water, 1 with soil, light and water and the final one with just air, water and light. Is this a fair test??? I am geting myself all confused about the changing variables etc.
    Thanks

3. I don't know if this will help but what I did with my Y2s on this topic was which seed will grow the soonest? We planted 4 different types of seeds and we discussed how we could make it fair. They related this concept to a race between the seeds to grow - and all children take fairness very seriously when it comes to racing! So we discussed it is fair on the sunflower seed if the radish seed gets watered more often/is given more water each time.

It was quite simple because the only variable was the type of seed and everything else stayed the same.

4. *whether it is fair on the sunflower seed....