1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 science assessment help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 17, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How do you assess science in year 2. Each attainment target?

Test? If so which?

We do lots of investigative work, but not any real writing. I don't have a clue how to TA in science.

Help please!

2. We use the Aiming High sheets from Northumberland
    http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/Science/ks12assessment/kandu.html
    We stick the "I can" sheets in science book as we begin each new topic and date as and when we feel the children have achieved the statements (sometimes we add "discussion", "practical" etc). This helps build a picture of the children's knowledge, especially as they often don't always record all their science work in their books.
    We also have the same science book through all of KS1 as you have to be able to assess each attainment target at the end of KS1 and there are some aspects of science they only cover in Y1 so we rely on the previous teacher's assessments too.
    We did try some tests (SATs style - can't remember which company but they were way too cumbersome for Y2) but don't do any formal testing now.
    Hope this helps.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Might be a bit late for that then!!

I do like those "I can" sheets. Might have a go with this topic and see how we get on. I have a feeling a bit of 'show me how you know' might come about for various topics once we finish this one!

Thank you

4. [​IMG]
    If you click the links at the top of the page you will find the investigation sheets too.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Like the topic overview type documents and the I can statements.

Anyone else got anything else we can use to assess please?

6. I use the 'Rising Stars' as an end of unit mini test/assessment. Only takes half an hour. LSA scribes the responses from the least able, I read each question out to the class. Gives a level for each unit but I also use teacher judgement. I am being moderated in May so it will be interesting to see what the moderator thinks of it...!!
    Good luck!

7. We use these sheets
    http://www.eriding.net/science/assessment.shtml
    they have the expanded level descriptors for each AT.
    scroll down to the 7th section (!) and it is the ones that say "Sc1 record for science sheet" and so on. It makes a booklet if you have all the sections, each child has one which moves up with them through school. We highlight after each topic based on observations, class work, investigations etc. Don't tend to do any tests in KS1 although I think some of the KS2 teachers like to do some test questions.
    Then we are meant to save a piece of work for each topic for each level (ie just one piece for each level 1, 2 and 3 as an example, not for each child)
    (I am in East Riding but I think they are quite useful sheets anyway!)

8. hi!
    Is there any chance you could send me the aiming high science sheets because the site had closed down.
    thanks
    jane

9. I have just tried that site too and cannot access it. Could you post the aiming high sheets for Science on TES resources please?