1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 sats

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Apr 3, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

When is everyone giving the year 2 papers?are you going for all in one week or spreading them out? Just interested to see how other people are approaching them!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Spreading them out

3. Im spreading them out - we do them in groups in the computer room so it takes longer than if we were doing them altogether.
    I plan on spreading them out over the whole first half term, leaving the long write until the end.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Thats a good idea... out of interest - which will you start with? I was pretty much planning to do everyone at once... as I wasn't sure taking them to a different room would benefit them?

5. Im going to do the spelling first, then the maths, then the reading, then the writing because I feel the reading/writing are the two that need as much teaching time as possible prior to completing them.
    Doing them all at once is one approach, but I find mine 'perform' better if I take them to the nice quiet computer room and make quite a big thing out of it being a "special challenge". It also means you can nag them to stay on task/concentrate (though obviously you can't help them) more easily, and spot anyone that is daydreaming or trying to peak at somebody elses.
    It also means I can keep my classroom following a relatively 'normal' flow of learning and activities and don't have to cover up displays and rearrange tables etc.
    It depends quite heavily on your heads opinions and whether you have a TA or anyone else that can take the rest of your class while you take the groups out to do them.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ah I see, I was thinking of leaving Numeracy until later on as it seems to be a weaker area for my class, so more time to build on it! I was hoping to keep mine in the classroom but thinking about it I could probably get my TA to take the rest to the computers or elsewhere actually. It does make sense doing small groups so you can keep an eye on what's going on... But what do you do for the Numeracy when you are allowed to read questions? I often find I have a lot of hands up waiting while I go around. I was thinking of asking for extra help for that one... Hmmm lots to think about i think!

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Oh a further question: How much weight will you give to the levels that come from the SATs papers? I was told that reading and numeracy are a pretty accurate picture but that writing isn't depending on the task / child... ?

8. Thats another reason I do them in small groups :) Ill probably take the L3 numeracy children as one group, then split the L2 children into two groups - so I'll have about 10 in each group. I have the more able Y2s but the teacher with the very poor Y2s will be doing the tasks 1:1 with them and not the tests anyway.
    Ive not had a problem with too many children needing the questions read in this way, hands tend to go up at about the same rate as I can get around them. Generally all of my class can read well enough to read the questions, and it will probably be that they dont understand and simply hearing it read aloud might help them to understand what it is asking of them. I just try to encourage them to read as much as they can themselves.

As for weightings - if the SATs back up what I would teacher assess them as, great. If they grade them lower than I would have I look to see if I have the evidence to send them up as my higher teacher assessment level. If I dont have that evidence, I send them up as the lower SATs grade. If they grade them higher I tend to do with it! But again I make sure I have the evidence.
    I like doing the SATs in the first half term back because it means we have the final half term to address any issues that have come to light, and really make sure your children are at the levels the SATs say they are before sending them on.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

That's so helpful, and you. My last question- with the level 3 children, do you sit them for the l2 paper first or put them straight on the level 3? My potential level 3 pupils are rather a soft bunch and I don't want to put them straight in for level 3 and overwhelm them at the first hurdle! But then don't want to sit them through l2 if it's not appropriate. Having done a past paper with them, they achieved 2A so not sure what to do!

10. In the guidance it says that with L3 children that sit the L3 paper and don't hit the L3, you don't need to make them do the L2 paper. This says to me that if you are confident they are a 2A then just give them the 3 paper and that will tell you if they are a 2A or a 3.
    If you really want the clarification that they are at least a 2A then yes I'd give them the L2 paper first, but if you are confident they are a 2A just go straight for the 3. But if they got a 2A in a past paper, that is purposeful assessment to me that they are already at a 2A and just need to confirm of they can get a Level 3.
    Have you had a look through the papers? You are allowed to. I have made sure my children are used to certain styles of questions etc (Things like number patterns going diagonally across the page can throw them so i've made sure i've included this kind of thing in my teaching). It also means you can make sure you have actually taught everything they need to know - this is particularly true of the Level 3 paper as some of the knowledge required within it are objectives that don't crop up within Y2 units and they do need it teaching before the SATs in order to stand a chance at getting the marks.

11. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Great tip, I will have a look through and see what questions there are and how they are phrased... I usually use test base in my plenaries so they should be reasonably used to looking at those sorts of questions, but these do tend to be L2 questions. Thank you for all your help, very, very much appreciated in what is a worrying time, specially with ofsted approaching! :-\ lol.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

lillipad, you are a star! You always seem to start threads asking questions that I need to know answers to, but hadn't even thought of. I'm going to copy and paste lots of bits from here to keep in mind for when we get back to school. Thank you!

And obviously thank you to Impulce too for knowing the answers!

13. No problems - just remember a lot of what I have said is my preference though, others prefer to do things differently and you might find different things work better with your class.
    As for the L3 papers - DEFINATELY have a look. There are a lot of 'new' concepts they are expected to know to get L3 and it is often completely seperate to L2 content (Ie it can't just be extended, it has to be explicitly taught.) Better to check now and make sure you are giving them that dedicated L3 content teaching than for them to not have a chance at getting the mark because it hasn't been taught :)
    Do you know whether it is the 2007 or the 2009 papers you are doing? I have done the 2007 papers for a few years now and actually have a copy with me so I can point out a few things they may find trickier if that is useful.

14. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I had a look at my APP grids today to see what sort of things i'd managed to hit and it turns out not many! Lol. So now going to use interventions to make sure certain things which need to be taught before hand are. I do plan to use 2007 although a search on here earlier showed a thread of people saying it was a harder paper? I will definitely have a flick through at some point and see what's what... I am a bit apprehensive of my children taking it, they are a rather sensitive bunch who get knocked down quite easily!

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They don't need to know the outcome.

16. Hi, what a good thread. I read this as I was looking at another thread & saw the link. I group my children according to what test they are going to do, so for example I take the L2 reading ch in the classroom, whilst my TA takes the L3 & poorer ones & does some nice activities, another day I will take the L3's. For the Spelling & writing we do them all together. The maths I take L2's one day, L3's another, the tasks on another & then have a v small group of poor readers & more uncertain ch doing the L2 but my TA takes them & does the read the q approach. I find this works pretty much ok.
    I am a little worried with this class as they are prolific chatterboxes & copiers- I will really have to space them out!!
    Can I ask what do you get your children to do that aren't doing the tests that are with your TA? I could do with some fresh ideas. I generally get them to do some outdoorsy maths, arty sketching, finding out type activties. I do think my TA ( who is great!) finds it hard having what can be half the class as it takes a long time esp the L3 Reading.Also our school is v tight on space so she has to take them outside or use the hall if that is free
    What type of rewards do you give your class? I always say it's special work but I like the idea of saying it's a special challenge. When we are all finished I buy them all a ice lolly which we enjoy out on our bandstand!
    I am finding it hard to fit all the tests in as I want to build in prep time for the short & long writing tasks before we do them and Y6 SATS are in week 5 & there will be no space at all left anywhere in the school & all our TA's are commandeered for the big push! So I am aiming to get all tests done by week 4, mark in Wk 5 & do tasks in Wk 6. Do you have release time? I am lucky in that I ususally get 3 days but even that is pushing it to get marking, taks done & finalisation time for levels.