1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 SAT's

Discussion in 'Primary' started by School Boy Error, Mar 7, 2012.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I work in a Junior school so have no idea about these but get the general feeling on here that people know what the task is and teach to it for all of the spring term? Is that correct?!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, I know it will have some maths, so I would teach that for all of the spring term, and there will be some reading too, so I'd probably teach that as well, and probably just a little bit of writing to go alongside

[​IMG]

3. Yes, they can teach the genre and need to leave 2 weeks between teaching the genre and letting the children do the writing.
    Not much point in asking children in Y2 to write something they have no idea about - and it's teacher assessment anyway, which means the writing test forms a small part of the overall judgement.

4. One week. Lots of threads re this going back many years - have a search. It's just one part of the assessment process of course and can be moderated up/down by teacher assessment.

5. Sorry, faulty memory [​IMG]

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Some schools do really over teach topics for the KS1 SATs as they know the topics.
    Others are much more sensible and realise the SATs are not the end of the world and that teaching is much more important than testing!

7. Actually, with some of mine, I could teach stuff they need on the DAY and they still wouldn't get it! [​IMG]