1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by loopylau, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a unit of work to teach to support the magic pebble from year 2 SATS?

2. Someone recommended watching Mr Benn to get the children thinking creatively. I haven't watched any episodes though so can't be sure.

3. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Hi,
    We are doing the Magic Pebble this year and we thought we would do story writing linked to Doctor Who/Sarah Jane Adventures since hopefully this should hook in the children. We were going to get the children to make either an animated movie or a comic strip telling the story of a new Doctor Who Adventure with the children as travelling companions for the Doctor. We thought this would give the children the chance to think about where they might go/ who they might meet etc and the time shift element that they can then use when it comes to the idea of the magic pebble. We have done some riddle writing for the short task but thought we might revisit this linked to Dr.Who aliens!
    Don't know whether that gives you any ideas?
    Tim

4. Elfreda6969

Elfreda6969 New commenter

The unit on traditional tales may work.
    I found Pie Corbett's book - story telling into writing and How to teach story writing at KS1 by Pie Corbett really good.
    Basically you could find a traditional tale that has a similar story stucture as the one you want the children to imitiate.
    Ie Jack and the beanstalk, Magic Porridge Pot, Magic Paintbrush etc.
    Pie Corbett's idea is to get the children to really know the story very well - so they could get to know the story by drawing a story map or flow chart.
    Read the story daily. Use hand actions for key connectives. Break the story down into beg, build up, problem, resolution, ending. Map the key connectives for each of these sections.
    You could do this with something like the Magic Paintbrush (see Storytelling into Writing) then get the children to write their own, subtituting the paintbrush etc.

5. the water horse is a recent film that the children might have seen or can be viewed.

or " a gift from winklesea"

( we did our sats before easter [​IMG]) smug sigh

6. We did our sats writing and spelling test before easter, so can have a slightly smug sigh. Add a little more smugness with the fact I got it all marked and transferred to APP before the holidays!

7. me too
    (smug smug - pick up an easter egg and enjoy it - sigh)[*]

8. Sorry to be a pain but is all this really contributing to independent assessment when it is so scaffolded like the Pie Corbett ideas? Maybe you could do this & leave it and then let them do the sat's writing otherwise is it not cheating a little?

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I was thinking the same thing! I wouldn't dream of doing any in depth preparatory work, other than telling the children that we're going to write a story about a magic pebble and reading out the bumpf from the teacher's handbook so they know what to include! That way is is completely independent and a true reflection of what the children can do.

10. you are allowed to do similar genre work a couple of weeks in advance.
    however if i said to my class of 6-7 year olds that they need to write a story about a magic pebble then they would faulter.
    they need preperation, inspiration and tool kits in order to be successful. i teach in a deprived area where childrens life experience is limited. magic pebbles belong to middle class families who are brought up on enid blyton.( personal opinion)
    arming children with skills is different from teaching to the test or "cheating"
    thats why we opted for "night time"

11. and we use the SATs as diagnostic tools to support teacher assessment and APP - not as the ultimate assessment

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry I didn't explain clearly
    I have taught the children the Pie Corbett approach last term (writing a non chronological report about dragons) and will probably revise this first week back so hopefully when they actually do their writing (probably in June) they will remember at least some of the work we have done and apply it to nocturnal animals ...knows some will write me a lovely story all about themselves [​IMG]

13. Elfreda6969

Its not cheating. As an adult, if you were asked to complete a job application form or CV wouldn't you find sample CVs, personal statements etc in order to give you inspiration?
    Why are children different?
    As an adult we have a life time of exposure to texts to draw upon. Many children do not.
    Surely SATs are about children showing what they can do. In my experience if children know the structure of a text - ie what is going to happen, then they can focus on compositional aspects more readily. To my understanding, this is an important aspect of the marking scheme. Using talk for writing will help aid children to know what will happen in their story so they can devote their energies to producing good sentences.

14. Elfreda6969

15. Msz

Not sure how helpful you will find it but you should have mail

16. Elfreda6969

17. Elfreda6969

Many thanks I have received your planning.

18. Msz

I've sent a message with some details that I don't put in my planning (which is I admit -BASIC)

19. Elfreda6969

Many thanks - its okay, your planning was sufficient for me to flesh it out.

If you are interested, or for anyone else who is thinking of using Dragons as an example of non chronlogical I have found an excellent clip on Youtube
    Dragons, a Fantasy made Real
    I am thinking of using it as a premise for children writing their own report

20. Msz

The course notes include a section on foxes
    unfortunately the book isn't due to be published until next year