1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Sats writing task - The Amazing Pebble - Can someone clear something up for me please?!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cathyd, Mar 30, 2008.

1. I've used it, but only as the stimulus for the actual task, not for preparation beforehand... personally I feel THAT would be pushing it a bit....

Check the yellow English Tasks instruction book for exact information on when you can teach the genre.

C x

2. Thanks Cathy, did you have to buy it as the person who recommended it on here said it was free. I also thought it was pushing it a bit! Did you use it as more of a discussion tool?

3. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Our assessmnet advisor said that you should not have done any teaching on that writing style more recently than 2 school weeks before the task.

4. I think I paid for it but it wasn't a lot. I did think it was very good and will get to use it again this year!

I did see something that looked similar on Espresso (our school subscribes to this) but I haven't looked at it properly yet.

C x

5. I can't find it anyways!

6. Thanks everyone!! Peeceee if you go to literacymatters.com and then click on to online store it is in the ebooks session.

I'm still undecided. I was going to look at a similar story like a magic box or something. We are being moderated and i still can't get my head around it not being classed as cheating!! xx

7. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

we're just doing lots of drama to give the children ideas as this what they struggle with - doing lots of magic key transportation type work - taking them to different lands. Lots of word banks, descriptive work etc.

Might also look at Mr Benn and how he changes when he goes through the door.

I don't like to do anything too similar beorehand as I find it stifles the childrens creativity and ends up too formulaic. Thats just my personal opinion tho :)

8. Thanks RJR, the magic key sounds a good idea as we use the oxford reading tree with Biff and Chip. I will look into the Mr Benn story, i haven't seen that one before xx

9. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Mr Benn is a 70s (I think) tv series about a man in a suit who goes into a fancy dress shop. He puts on a costume, goes through the door and becomes that character.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/702281/Mr-Benn-The-Complet...

you have to keep your eye out though as I got it in the play.com sale before for £3.99!

10. Thanks!! I have just had a look and he looks great!! I used to read the wishing chair when i was little so i think i will just look at as many "magic" stories which involve some sort of a change as possible and like you say, try out some drama activities!! Will def be buying Mr Benn!! I was an 80s child, looks like iv'e missed out!! haha

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i've just had to have a lie down. i must be old now i've come across someone who doesn't know who mr benn is. *cries*

12. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

lol well I didn't until last year when a colleague introduced me to him ;)

13. haha emily! He looks good tho! xx

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i used to watch him before videos had been invented, ya know *sniffle*
    ;p