1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 SATs timetable

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Mar 22, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hello experienced teachers from a NQT! Has anyone planned their SATs timetable yet? My HT has decided that the week before the summer half-term is THE week. Would love advice on how best to 'spread the load', which order, time to allow (I know it states this, but is the reality the same - setting up?) etc. I realise it can be done as we think fit, but if anyone has any advice, especially a timetable, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hello experienced teachers from a NQT! Has anyone planned their SATs timetable yet? My HT has decided that the week before the summer half-term is THE week. Would love advice on how best to 'spread the load', which order, time to allow (I know it states this, but is the reality the same - setting up?) etc. I realise it can be done as we think fit, but if anyone has any advice, especially a timetable, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3. Hi
    There is no way I would attempt to do all Y2 SATs in one week. Last year we did it over a period of three weeks, which is the shortest time I would go with.However, I felt it impacted far too much on the 5 week term we did it in and the children were really fed up with the tests by the end. This year we did the first one in February and have peppered them through different themes. For example we are doing the riddle tomorrow, which fits in with the Amazon theme we have been doing. Next term we are doing the pebble, as this will fit in with our Island Adventure theme. We did the maths in Feb. It has worked really well and hasn't taken over. Things like the reading task will take some time and your class will need cover during that time, so you will need to schedule that in, but there is no need to do them one after each other in such a short period of time.

4. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi Singup, Thanks for your reply. I can't believe how differently I have been advised to do it! There is obviously a HUGE difference between getting it all done in 1 week and spread out over time and linking to current themes. I really like your way of doing - the least impact on the children obviously the better... Not sure my HT would go for this though - the 1 week option seems to be the 'way it's always been done'! Anyone else have any comments? Thanks.

5. Hi,
    I have done 'em for years.. the best way I have found is to have 1 'normal' week after Easter. Then I do the spelling first thing on the Tuesday morning, week 2. Week 3 I do the reading tests for levels 2 and 3, spread through the week (Yay! No literacy planning!!) I also do the tasks with the odd few children during my PPA. Week 4 I do the maths, but I split the class; half I read the L2 paper to them (less able readers and poorer mathematicians) whilst the LSA does Roamer work in the hall. Then the next day the able readers/maths do it. Day after that - level 3!! The LSA has the ones I am not testing. Finally week 5 after Easter I do the writing, shorter task Tuesday, Longer Wednesday. I don't like to 'administer' the tests too early as I feel the children need to have seen some practice papers - I use ancient old ones for guided reading and use some old maths questions as starters or plenaries. Also I find they can often leap forward progress-wise in the first half of the spring term. By the time the children do the tests they are really excited to have a booklet of their own they can actually write in!! But what do the tests tell me.... nothing that I didn't already know. Hey ho. English education at its best...

6. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thank you Jeangenie, this has really helped. I have all sorts of things which I'm going to have to get my head around...need to teach most of my Year 2s what a non-chronological report is (as that is the SATs test we will be using) and as they do the Read, Write Inc programme, they are not going to know the layout. I will also somehow have to work light and dark in to the school day! Then there is the fact that I also teach 12 Year 1s so will have to work out what to do with them during this time. Does anyone give old maths test papers as 'practice' so that they know the format, or is this not necessary? Thanks for any more ideas.

7. I didn't give my mine any practice papers for maths and they were fine as it is pretty straightforward. I read it out to those who needed it, whilst the other Year 2 teacher had the other Level 2s who didn't need it reading and another adult did the smaller group doing Level 3. A TA took the Level 1s away to do something else.
    I do go through one old SATs reading paper with the groups who will be doing it, as it is more involved than a short reading comp, so I want them to understand what they are being asked to do. Some of the instructions are not 100% clear if you haven't met them before, so I think it is worth familarising them with it. I tend to just go through it in a guided read though, with them saying what they would say and why. I really don't go in for lots of practice. You only need to report your teacher assessments and I hate the SATs so there is no way I would make them do more of the things than they needed to. I just do them in as low key way as possible. We did the short writing task today and apart from their obvious irritation with the fact that they couldn't discuss it with their partner, or talk to me about it, it went fine.
    Don't forget to ask for some time to mark, as you are entitled to it. The amount you would be given seems to vary, but we get a day. The maths and spelling doesn't take long to mark, but the writing tasks can take a while. Both of our Year 2 teachers get a couple of mornings to do the reading tasks with our children and I enjoy doing that as it is not something you get to do with a child in the normal run of things.
    Bear in mind you will also need to report a science and speaking and listening level.