1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 SATs spelling test

Discussion in 'Primary' started by indigo987, May 18, 2011.

1. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

Just setting myself up for tomorrow and remembered all my phonics displays - a list of different sounds in groups and an alphabet. I took down my key words and covered things up for the writing paper, do I need to do this for the spelling test - obviously I have covered up the key words. The book is pretty vague, it just says " children should work without access to materials that could give them an unfair advantage".
    Reading that again, I think that probably covers the sound displays, but shall I also take down my alphabet tomorrow morning? What do other Y2 teachers do?

2. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

Just setting myself up for tomorrow and remembered all my phonics displays - a list of different sounds in groups and an alphabet. I took down my key words and covered things up for the writing paper, do I need to do this for the spelling test - obviously I have covered up the key words. The book is pretty vague, it just says " children should work without access to materials that could give them an unfair advantage".
    Reading that again, I think that probably covers the sound displays, but shall I also take down my alphabet tomorrow morning? What do other Y2 teachers do?

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I genuinely think any kid who uses the environment around them should be congratulated actually-Ive always thought it ridiculous that we have to take things down in KS1

4. We don't take anything down.

5. I don't take anything down either.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do all year 2s tomorrow across the country do a spelling test?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No mine did it weeks ago

8. We did it back in February!

9. Msz

The KS1 spelling test mark (out of a possible 7) is added to the 2 writing test marks

10. Msz

The words in both the 2007 and 2009 tests are fully decodable

11. Msz

mystery the test is a yellow folded A3 sheet inside are a series of pictures and the child is asked to write the word on the back page is a story with words missing which the teacher will read and the children fill in the blanks.

12. mystery10

Don't you all find the whole thing a bit peculiar - that KS1 is now "teacher assessed" but you have to administer some old tests or other and keep to the marking guidelines for those? How then do you cobble in the results from the old tests with your view of the child? Is that prescribed too?

13. The tests are part of our evidence base.

14. They are decodable, but only if children are secure with Phase 6 and have a good knowledge of alternative phonemes etc.

15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If you know your children well, you know the level they will achieve on the test so it shouldn't come as any surprise! There are times when a child might reach a level slightly higher than their usual working level ( usually when there has been some surreptitious parental coaching going on!) or slightly lower, perhaps they were below par on the day, or became unneccesarily stressed. But generally you can predict to within a few marks, what each child will achieve. They are simply an additional source of evidence, along with all the others we keep!

16. I agree.

17. mystery10

I'm sure you can, so don't you feel you could just be left to teacher assess without being told that you have to do these old SATs papers too?