1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 SATs - Riddle

Discussion in 'Primary' started by edw1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    Quick question about Year 2 SATs short writing task..
    I am going to do the riddle - is it ok for me to do some work prior to the paper on animals to give the children the knowledge that they need? I have it in my head (rightly or wrongly) that you are not 'allowed' to do work that directly links to the content of the SATs paper in the 2 weeks before you give them to the children - is this correct??
    How do other people prepare their children for this task?
    This is the first time that I have had year 2, but in a mixed R / Y1 / Y2 class of 30 so it's interesting!!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Your not allowed to teach the style of text in the week before, but im not sure there is any problem with teaching facts about animals in a different way. As long as you are not actually practicing writing riddles about them.
    I plan on doing some ICT research/discussion about a few different animals at some point.

3. Perfect, thank you!

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I taught riddles last term... and we did animal riddles too... I think what i've gathered is that it's fine as long as you don't teach it within 2 weeks of the paper... So based on that theory you could teach animal facts in advance. :)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo hadn't thought about teaching animal facts. I just sort of assumed they would know a range of facts about a range of animals...might need to fit this in somehow.

6. Thank you :) I think I have just about got my head around things! Thanks for your help!

7. Haha! I am glad it isn't just me minnieminx! It just gets more and more time consuming doesn't it!?

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yeah i'm thinking that maybe doing some animal facts might be an idea...... although a small part of me can't help feeling that there's not much point in flapping about the sats papers since it's all teacher assessment... obviously we want them to do the best we can... but still... lol.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Actually I'm assuming, not having actually read all the marking guidelines, that correct facts about animals is probably not part of the levelling criteria. That a child could make up an animal entirely and still write an excellent riddle and achieve a level 2 or 3?

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I think that's probably true, i've often felt that the actual content of the writing isn't important as long as all the other elements are there. I've always felt it to be a bit unfair that one child can write a wildly exciting story and another write a dull as dishwater story and achieve the same level... So I think you're probably right there Minnie.

Although on the same level, maybe if a child confidently knows things about the animal they're going to write about, it gives them more time for thinking about how to write effectively and what to include and spend less time thinking about how to describe the actual animal... which i can see might be a stumbling block for some of mine.
    I should add that I haven't actually looked at the mark scheme in the teachers guide so don't know for certain.