1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 religious Easter cards

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Mar 24, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Any ideas very welcome, need to be pretty artistic and brilliant as it is our art (and part of RE) lesson for the week. Drawing a quick cross in felt tips and writing Happy Easter won't quite cut it.

Thank you in advance.

2. I am YR. We did a blue colour wash for the sky, used green tissue paper to make a grassy hill, shiny paper for the sun, lolly pop sticks for the cross and then used cotton buds to paint little flowers on the hill.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm year 6 and we're doing something similar ( although hopefully with a greater degree of skill!) Watercolour colourwash for the sunset-colours merging into shades of orange and yellow-with hills and 3 crosses as silhouettes.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds good, and we are making a large collaborative Easter garden on Wednesday so your ideas could be a lead in to that.

And if I tell my class that a year 6 class I 'know' are doing the same thing, they'll be well impressed. I'll mention the reception part only if they start to say it is too hard...! :)

Thank you, but other ideas also welcome!

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    I taught year 4 during the week and kept telling them " my 6's find this tough too" and that kept them going!

6. We are using a template of the cross and black paper. They put the cross onto the black paper The children will use sunrise colour oil pastels to draw coloured lines coming from the cross. The cross is removed and they should be left with an effective empty cross at sunrise kind of thing. They then mount this onto a piece of folded card, writing an Easter message in the border round the front of the card.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh noooo...now I like that idea as well. Hmmmm.

I do have a TA so maybe children could choose which they do?

Children have done a fair bit of learning about collage work and using pastels this term, so I could say they are choosing to show off their best skills.

8. You're welcome. I'm glad to worked well. My class made some lovely ones too and I liked the fact that the could do it completely independently. I don't like the conveyer belt card making that can sometimes happen.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you from me as well, to all of you.

My class chose whether they did a watercolour sunrise background and glue on a black sugar paper cross, which was fabulous. The rest chose to do the pastels radiating from a cross template on black sugar paper, removing the template to leave the black cross showing.

We did them early in the week and displayed them in the classroom all week. Parents were really impressed with the display during parents evening. HT also impressed.