1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 reading comprehension

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moonbeam5, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Does anyone know where I could find good resources for this? We are having our top groups 'boostered' prior to SATs, but don't really have anything except past papers to help the children or the teacher doing the boosting!
    Ta!

2. Does anyone know where I could find good resources for this? We are having our top groups 'boostered' prior to SATs, but don't really have anything except past papers to help the children or the teacher doing the boosting!
    Ta!

3. I would also be interested in this and any ideas for boosting 2Cs to 2Bs/2As. Thanks all.

4. I use sheets from a really good book - hold on I'll post a link here - have recommeded it a few times on here - It is quite expensive but really good. It has 3 sections which covers differentiation and has loads of different text types.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehension-Age-Scholastic-Lite...

there you go

5. The book looks good - thanks. Anyone know of anything online? Would really appreciate it!

6. Sorry I don't but woul be interested in any online resources too and thought I would bump this post up!

C

7. How about making sure that they can read what IS WRITTEN rather than what they GUESS IS WRITTEN?

Not reading the text and questions carefully and accurately is what lets down those of our children who don't do well.

Also, when asked questions do they answer what was asked or anticipate what the question is going to be and respond accordingly?

8. I also ask my children to go back and find the words in the text which tell them the answer. I get them to underline it if it is one of the sheets from the book but obviously can't do that if it is a book - but they can in the SATs!

9. moonbeam - I'm trying to boost comprehension skills at the moment too. Am using past papers,children have a go themselves, I mark to see who had problems/where major problems lie, then go through the questions as a group (I don't let them have their response papers though, I give them time to reread book then go through questions verbally). Working really well with my HA.

10. I really like the scholastic book!

x

11. Have a look at Read Write Inc. Comprehension 'Takes children to NC level 3 with most children beginning in Year 2'

www.readwriteinc.com

12. Great ideas, thanks. Anyone else know of any more? Ta!

13. I have just started to 'boost' my yr 2's in time for SATs and have been advised to use the Kent resources. they have selections of the different comprehensions children may get. my aim is provide various examples of each type and teach them how to pick out info and answer the qn.

Kent also do stuff for maths and writing which seem good.

hope this helps

stella

14. Stellastar- do you have a link for the kent reading comprehensions, please? I have searched the site but can't find anything - I need my year 2s to start practising this skill as well.

15. I would also like to know about these resources. I teach in Kent and haven't heard about them.

16. I don't have a link I'm afraid. They were in my room and as i'm new to yr 2 I was advised by the deputy to take my class through the questions. All the footnote says on the bottom of the packs are written and published by Kent consultants. Sorry

17. moonbeam I read this thread yesterday and last night dreamt that I had to do an adult's reading comprehension SATs test and it was really hard to concentrate and although I could read it, I couldn't concentrate on finding the answers in the text!!!

Made me think how children feel in the test situation, although I make SATs very low key but they still have to sit there on their own and find the answers.

Really must get a life - dreaming of SATs during half term - oh dear!

18. Why are you boosting you kids for year 2 SATs when they mean ****** all. The level reported at the end of the year is teacher assessment. Not even the LA will want your SAT marks.

I personally will only set the Level 3 comprehension paper for those that can do it - the rest will just do the task.

19. invincible

invincible New commenter

If you've never heard of Kent NGFL then you don't know what you're missing!

http://www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/

It is an absolutely fantastic site with lots of brilliant links to some great ideas!

20. Wonreka - what a nightmare!! I agree that I do feel sorry for my class, but we try to make it as painless as possible. We do one practise set of tests so they can see what they're like, then the real ones before Easter. The HT wants us to boost for the tests, then it's up to us to move them on even more by July! At least by offering boosting, the children get some good input designed for them away from the distractions of the rest of the class. Am still looking for good resources!