1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JCA_1989, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    I am currently in the process of planning 2 weeks worth of work on Sound Effect poems, particularly looking at the work of Roger McGough. In the first week I want to focus down on some of the techniques used, such as alliteration, rhythm and onomatopoeia.
    My question is whether looking at onomatopoeia would be okay for a Year 2 class? I don't feel like I can ignore it, as it the essential element of a sound effect poem. The lesson on this would be identifying onomatopoeic sounds in the classroom, before applying this in their writing. Obviously this would be kept fairly simple.
    Does this sound okay for Year 2? I am a student teacher, new to this age phase!
    I would welcome any help that you can offer!

Cheers
    JCA

2. I think onomatopoeia would be fine for Year 2. Some of my children really understand it, so you should definitely look at it for sound effect poems.