1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 puppets alternatives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cazzielou, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

I have been given the task of replanning the puppets block for our year 2's. We have already done a textiles block this year so we don't want it to be too focussed on textiles but it can include bits of sewing to revise the skills they learnt. We have 6 weeks of 2 hour lessons to fill and the topic for that term is flanimals.

I am thinking about planning something where they are working in groups each with their own character to make and then they can make the background and write a short performance as part of their literacy work. I need something that would be simple to do out of recycled materials but will challenge children to think about what materials to choose and how to join them etc. I am thinking maybe a stick puppet with a moving part or a marionette but I can't find a design idea simple enough (we would probably have 2/3 lessons to do the making part).

Has anybody made this type of puppet instead of the usual glove puppets and has their planning or ideas they could share?

Thanks in advance

Caz

2. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

I have been given the task of replanning the puppets block for our year 2's. We have already done a textiles block this year so we don't want it to be too focussed on textiles but it can include bits of sewing to revise the skills they learnt. We have 6 weeks of 2 hour lessons to fill and the topic for that term is flanimals.

I am thinking about planning something where they are working in groups each with their own character to make and then they can make the background and write a short performance as part of their literacy work. I need something that would be simple to do out of recycled materials but will challenge children to think about what materials to choose and how to join them etc. I am thinking maybe a stick puppet with a moving part or a marionette but I can't find a design idea simple enough (we would probably have 2/3 lessons to do the making part).

Has anybody made this type of puppet instead of the usual glove puppets and has their planning or ideas they could share?

Thanks in advance

Caz

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter