1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 progress: panicking!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jun 24, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Ok I'm having a panic! How many of your yr2's have made a whole level progress. I didn't realise this was expected! Mine came up so high from yr1 I don't see how this was possible. I have a good set of results, majority have reached their targets, but not many have made a whole level progress. Just seen on my performance management that I'm supposed to have 90% making a whole level progress! Ahhh! Really stressing out!!!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Quite a few of mine have... But I wouldn't say 90%...

3. rainbowdrop86

Oh ****! I'm absolutely freaking out!

4. Not all of mine made a whole level, prob 90%. Like yours, they came up with high levels from year 1. Some made 2/3rds. But HT is quite happy - less pressure on year 6. Some least able made amazing progress - Spelling age -5.10 to +8.9! (She began to read in year 2... makes all the difference.)

5. rainbowdrop86

What level would normall be expected that they come up from yr1 with? I've got my yr1 teacher already talking about 2a's which seems far too high to me

6. Average 1B. I had A LOT come up with 1A/2C which put pressure on me to find 2A/3C at end of year 2. If they are 2A at year 1 they should be on gifted and talented list and be receiving extra challenges!! This should have been identified in Reception any with a score of 9... and extra provision made then...

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

mine haven't made a whole level in some cases, but they've worked hard and ended up with a pretty good set of results. although i did have one with 5 sublevels and another with 4...

8. rainbowdrop86

So really, unless gifted, they shouldn't generally be coming up any higher than a 2c?

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

that's quite high enough to be going on with!

10. SgtSlaughter

SgtSlaughter New commenter

I have children who can multiply and divide but they will still be a 2C in maths because I haven't covered all the areas required in 2B. I also have readers who can read Level 3 books and above but don't have the understanding yet due to their age so will be 2Bs going into Year 2. However, they all completed past SATs papers which supported my levels.

11. rainbowdrop86

I'm gonna have to talk to my ks leader I think. No wonder mine haven't made a whole level!

12. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

As a y1 teacher I've been told that the expected level at end of y1 is 1a/2c. I am expected to get 9 of my class to a 2b in writing (not going to happen). Have 14 level 2s in reading tho, including 3 2a, as judged by doing a level 2 sats paper. That said I don't think I'll be sending any up higher than a 2b in reading as I'm taking the SATs paper with a pinch of salt!

13. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

We think more in terms of 'on track' at the end of the year, so for end KS1 how many are on 2B and above - are there more (higher % of class) 'on track' now then on entry to Y2 and how many children who weren't on track now are. Same applies to most able to check the well above average children remain so.
    All of mine have made at least 2 sublevels and probably 70% made three or more. However we aim for 2-3 sublevels so a 1A moving through to a 2B is fine, 2A great. There are lots of subtleties within levels, not all 1A pupils are at exactly the same point and some may have a bigger journey to make, with lots of consolidation, to reach to 2B never mind 2A.

14. SgtSlaughter

SgtSlaughter New commenter

Just to add I think it's worthwhile to level writing between year groups. Perhaps ask the Year 1 teacher this year to show you examples of the children's independent writing and their levels (if you're staying in Year 2!). My advice would be to carry out your own assessments in September with your new class - Reading/Phonics, Writing and Maths to give you an idea of where they are. Most will argue that children drop a little over the summer, but at least you have the evidence if the levels are too high coming up.

15. deanow

deanow New commenter

Only a very few of mine have gone up a whole level this year and only in Maths. None last year. I had quite a high proportion of children coming up as 2B or 2A in some subjects - most of these have only made 1 sublevel's progress but I feel it's a fair reflection of where they are now. They have made great progress in so many ways - just doesn't look like it on a spreadsheet.