1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 progress... a quick question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imtellingonyou, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

How would it be viewed by the SMT in your school if the children in your class made 2 sub-levels of progress minimum but you did not achieve many L3s, especially as they need to be classed as a 3B by County? I know it's not all about targets, but in reality schools are judged on results and as I work in a first school, Year 2 comes under more scrutiny than perhaps a primary school.
    Thanks

2. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

In our school 3 sub-levels (a whole level) is expected in Year 2.

It all depends on your starting point really, if children are coming in to you with 1b by the end of year 1 then no one is going to expect you to get them to level 3. However if they are already at level 2 by the end of year 1 then I would expect to see some level 3s by the end of year 2.

3. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Thanks for your reply, so would you expect them to be a 3c by the end of Year 2 to be classed as a 'level 3' or a 3b? My class are making progress and all will make (touch wood) at least 2 sub levels of progress and will hopefully achieve a 3c but the information I have been given is that a 3 only counts if it's a 3B and so my '3cs' will go down as a 2a which is really frustrating given where they've started from!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If all my year 2 make 2 sublevels of progress I'll be shot at dawn! Three is expected in my school and the children are expected to meet their targets even if that means 4 (or even 5) sublevels of progress. No idea where the targets magically came from, but hey ho!

Luckily children do tend to take off and fly in year 2 and so 3 sublevels isn't too ambitious.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Ive been told 3 sublevels but about 1/3 of mine will only make 2. I will have fewer level 3's than previously but not through lack of progress thankfully. Not a lot I can do about it expect keep teaching them to the best of my ability and assessing them accurately.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

*except

7. KS1 is 2 years. In that time they're expected to make 2 levels of progress. Clearly then they're expected to make 3 sub levels a year.

KS2 is 4 years and in that time they're expected to make 2 levels of progress. So the expectation for those years is 1.5 sub levels a year - which is obviously impossible, so it's normally rounded up to 2 sub levels.

8. msworld

msworld New commenter

Whole - class teaching in Year 2 is often pitched at around a level 2. Some teachers do not cover the breadth of objectives which are needed to be a secure level 3 or 4.
    So giving a child a 3 or 4 in year two can be setting them and their year 3 teachers up for a fail.
    The jump from a 1a to a 2a is not as big as the jump from a 2a to a 3a.
    Kids are expected to include to learn lots of complex stuff to be a secure 3 like paragraphing punctuation, subordination, viewpoint... I have not seen many year 2 teachers cover this... (not in the schools I've worked in anyway)

9. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

We had to predict in October from Year 1 teacher assessments and information from Fischer Family Trust how many level 2's and 3's we will get. It is moving from 2A - 3 in comprehension and maths that will be the biggest hurdle. Our target per child is 2.6/2.7 in maths and reading and 2.2 / 2.3 in writing in ks1.

10. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

We are wrong whatever we do. Not enough L3? We are in the wrong compared to national data and must gestimate those who might get one. Get any L3 or even high L2 and we are castigated by KS2. Look at the targets... If the children are not on track it's a theoretical smack on the hand, if they are on track, then an extra sub level is added to make sure we are really stretching them, so they are not really on track after all. This time of year makes me ill.