1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 pressure!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Dec 12, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Any others out there feeling the pressure to achieve in year 2 this year? Aaaargh! Anyone got any suggestions of anything they do that they believe gives pupils a boost!? I'm willing to try anything! lol

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Any others out there feeling the pressure to achieve in year 2 this year? Aaaargh! Anyone got any suggestions of anything they do that they believe gives pupils a boost!? I'm willing to try anything! lol

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes, totally am. Driving me mad and I'm beginning to think staying in year 6 would have meant less pressure!

No idea what to do, as such. My children have apparently made too much progress in writing and so I'm in the process of 'proving' every single flippin level for every single AT for every single child!

Grrrrrr!

4. YES!!! Story writing today to get some evidence - I could have cried!

5. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

We can't win either. If we don't make enough progress, we get it in the neck from the head/ SLT, if we do, Y3,4,5 and 6 accuse us of overegging the results.
    When we go to moderation, our marks are judged accurate markers, but who believes the moderators? Certainly not the Y6 teacher.
    Nowadays I mark them by app, then take off at least a sublevel, then hand them over to the lit coord who says "Ooh, you are such a hard marker, look at this evidence" and marks them up.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My (slightly sulky and slightly less than professional) response at one point in the progress meeting was "Well next time just let me know which level you would like them to be and I'll type that one in!" Think your way might be a better one though...

For actual handwriting, I would say give them narrower lines. This means they automatically write smaller and thus neater. Also 'teach' handwriting in small focus handwriting ability groups. Move them on from where they are. Do not accept anything other than their best at all times.

For full stops I ask them how I know where to pause dramatically when reading the class story (I'm quite good at reading aloud to children, so they know what I mean) and they say the full stops tell me. I then ask how I will know where to pause dramatically in their story and they say something like 'Eerrrr shall I put some full stops in?" YES!!

My VCOP board is at child height and the connectives and punctuation bits are on individual spiders/raindrops and such like. They are blu-tacked to the board and so children can take them off and to their desk whenever they wish. Same for bd and pq helps.

I teach in small focus ability groups with lots of guided and shared writing. Challenging their writing as they go helps them make progress, rather than trying to edit at the end.

Just kind of normal teaching I suppose...but tis still wrong as accelerated progress means too much progress!!!

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So when you teach in small focus ability groups, what do the rest of the class do? Because mine are quite needy... and if my TA takes a group out, I take a group, it can be hard to manage the rest unless they do a 'holding' activity.

8. ?

9. Same with mine. Be very interested to know how you do this minniminx. Lots of training, I suspect, til they get it.

10. Think this is the way forward in Year 2 assessment!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well, like I said I'm changing it a bit this coming term. It might all go pear shaped, but shouldn't.
    For the first week back, might last a week and a half as the first week is short, I have:
    Role play: Work as a group to act out a made up story. (This builds on some S&L from last term where we learned to work together to make up a play, rather than just vaguely play about in role play, if that makes sense)
    Writing area: Write WOW words to describe the setting pictures given. (This should then move on to describing settings of their ideas of what is behind the fairy door)
    Reading area: A selection of traditional tales available to read. Jot down any 'story language' they find. Write book reviews maybe.
    Design area: Make a scene of what is behind the fairy door.
    Maths area: Something to do with number patterns...not quite sure what yet.
    Has been daily, but drove me nuts, so going to move to weekly.
    No, more that they cannot go to the design area every single day and never the writing area sort of thing. I might need to be a bit kind about letting them miss one area one week in order to complete a half finished activity or something.
    They link to the theme of the maths or literacy of the week, though not necessarily the lesson. But yes on the plan/timetable they do all have a clear LO and SC.
    I'm planning for next term to leave SC in each area and for them to self or peer assess using the SC. Then if it is written they hand it in marked and I keep it as evidence. (Last term they just took it home, but I got told off for not having enough evidence of independent work, so I'm keeping it this term.)

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Must be not enough. Too much wine is an impossibility!

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I see. I do like it a lot. Sadly my classroom is the size of a cupboard so having independent areas isn't hugely possible as they'd be noisy and loud and distracting... I already have a 'challenge' table set up (Which I borrowed from you!) and am liking the idea of having an independent area particularly for writing, would just need to work out where to put it and what it should involve!! I think my year 2s don't get enough independent time to be honest.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What do your children currently do when they aren't working with you? My writing area is just two tables together with some fancy pens and pencils in the middle. It is next to the VCOP board which is at child height and is covered in paper for children to write on. But essentially is it just two tables.

The reading cafe is just a table, bookshelf, large cardboard box and a heap of cushions.

Maths area is just two tables length ways on to a wall with the maths display immediately behind it. Children can use the number track and hundred square from sitting at the table. There is also a giant snakes and ladders on the floor.

Design area is just two tables length ways in the classroom and a massive cardboard box of 'junk'. The box forms part of the wall of the role play.

None of these areas are any noisier than children working at desks is noisy. It just means the children have some choice and independence.

Role play takes a fair bit of space, but the walls are made from a massive cardboard box than a lucky teacher (not me) got her new smartboard in and children's drawer units/maths cupboard/etc.