1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Planning on Non-Chronological Reports

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seebee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I love that part - they have obviously never tried this with a class of 7 year olds!

2. No, you just have to leave a week.
    Love the other comment about the children having 'access' to information to help them write. So true!

3. Can I just double check.... they can have information books about nocturnal animals on their desks that they can use while doing the writing task?! Sorry if I'm being thick but just never heard of that before.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't think it is on their desks. But on a nice display table/shelf that they can go and look at. Then leave the book there and return to their seat to write.

5. deanow

deanow New commenter

Re access to books....should have added " but don't even THINK of trying it". Last year all hell would've broken loose and this year they'd be too absorbed in reading to actually do any writing. [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL I was wondering...

Am I right in thinking that the 'other' set of papers has a story to write about a pebble (magic one) and a riddle?

And this one has the report and a character description?

7. deanow

deanow New commenter

That's right minnieminx. 2007 - story and riddle. 2009 - non chronological report and character description.

8. Before Christmas we wrote riddles about animals that live in the North and South Pole. Would this mean we can't do the riddle writing paper as I think I prefer that one?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No you definitely can. It is only in the week before that they can't study that particular genre.

We did Easter related riddles just before the holidays. My class loved it and I have a feeling that they have written loads in the holidays to annoy their parents.

We'll be doing the magic pebble type of story in a week or so, just so they have some clue what to do. There was a thread the other day about good book to use and I've ordered a few.

10. Phew I also spotted that thread and ordered some of the books. I think the children will find that one more fun to do.

11. deanow

deanow New commenter

The riddles for the task are about 4 legged animals so if they've done that already you'd need to do the other paper. Am sure I've read somewhere that children can't have written riddles about ANY animal before the task but perhaps someone who's done this one before might know otherwise. Was thinking you might be ok if they'd only written about whales, seals and penguins!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Me too. Without a doubt.

13. deanow

deanow New commenter

Found that quote I was looking for. Again, it's from the Devon LDP site - Support for 2007 writing tasks. Not sure if it's a direct quote from the Teacher's Handbook but I'd check that to be on the safe side.
    "Riddle: must be an animal that has 4 legs but NOT a butterfly as modelled on the poster (but then again, butterflies do not have 4 legs!). The children can have explored and written riddles prior to the task, but not for the theme of animals. Prompt questions can be asked on the day of the task, but the children should not share their ideas."

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Bet some of mine start by writing "I have four legs"!!

15. deanow

deanow New commenter

Could be a table!

16. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Please can you post the link to the "support for 2007 writing tasks" as I can't find it on the site
    Thanks

17. Thanks coffecakes,but its weekly planning i'm after to help teach the planning & writing of non-chron reports in year 2.Just want to see how people break it down to teach it over the week. Can anyone help. Arrgh

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But you are asking for how to teach it ready for SATs. I would think most people wouldn't do that.

My class first met non-chron reports in November to do with a Christmas celebration in Sweden as part of our topic. Then again as part of Fairytales in January. They met it again last term as part of our Titanic topic.

For Sats all I would do (we aren't doing this one though) would be have a chat about possible questions using the 5 Ws as prompts. Probably talk about who might need to know about nocturnal animals to give them a sense of audience and then leave them to it. I wouldn't need to teach 'non-chron reports' as a subject to prepare them.

Maybe just look at what your topic is for this term and fit non-chron reports into that.

19. Double checked in the teachers handbook and there's no mention of you not being able to teach animal riddles. It only says not to teach riddles the week before the children write their riddles. My head also told me not to worry about it as it's all down to teacher assessment. Those books won't go to waste then.

20. Are you still teaching Year 2. Id like to see if you would be happy to share some Year 2 resources with me?

Thankss