1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Pie Corbett approach to writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Flo71, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

I have downloaded the talk for writing document from the national standards website and searched a little on here but still had a few questions.
    I teach year 2 and am looking for ways to improve the quality of writing that the children produce. From what I have read the approach I am currently using is similar to the 'talk for writing' but I would like more ideas and perhaps a little more structure.
    I am probably going to need to pay for any resources myself so would like to know which resources you think would be most useful to a year 2 class.
    Resources I am currently looking at:
    The works KS1 - poetry http://www.amazon.co.uk/Works-Key-Stage-1/dp/0330439472/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263408130&sr=1-55
    The bumper book of storytelling KS1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bumper-Story-Telling-Writing-Stage/dp/0955300800/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263408130&sr=1-53
    Story teller KS1 - is this any good the thought of the gingerbread man doesn't really inspire me.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storyteller-Teacher-Resource-Ages-Teachers/dp/140710067X/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263409221&sr=1-18
    I assume that as the jumpstart books all state 7-12 they are more suited to KS2?
    Also any recommendations for resources for non-fiction writing for year 2 would be gladly received.
    Thanks.

2. We use the bumper book of storytelling KS1 and find it useful. It has scripts for suitable stories in FS, Yr1 and Yr 2, as well as, ideas for curriculum links and word banks for each year group. I don't know about the other books.

3. I use the 'bumper book'. I also have the Jumpstart literacy book - most ideas are easily adapted for Y2

4. I find the Start Writing series of books really useful, can't remember all the titles but: Adventure stories, amazing stories, check out at amazon.
    They have a story and then a fab pictoral prompt page for children to do their own writing. There are non fiction ones and big book versions too.

5. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

Thanks for replies, I hadn't seen the start writing books they look good too.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://public.merlin.swgfl.org.uk/establishments/866la01/EarlyYearsandPrimaryTeam/SBCPrimaryEarlyYearsPlace/Literacy/Document%20Library/Literacy%20CPD/Talk%20for%20Writing%20in%20KS1/Story%20Telling%20into%20Writing.pdf

7. porker

porker New commenter

8. I would say the following:

The bumper book of story telling - Pie Corbett
    How to teach Story Writing at KS1 - Pie Corbett

Jump start literacy - Pie Corbett

These are really good resources.

How to teach - gives more detail of the approach
    Jumpstart has useful activities.

9. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

I've bought jump start literacy but can't find the bumper book of story telling instock anywhere.
    Does anyone use the storyteller resources with year 2? they don't seem to get great reviews.
    Also if anyone has any of their planning for pie corbett style story writing I would be really grateful to have a look at it. davidbr99-a@yahoo.co.uk
    Thanks, Flo x

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

As an alternative to the Bumper Book of Storytelling I would suggest How to teach Story Writing at Key Stage 1

11. karentee

karentee New commenter

We have the Storyteller books and have just started to dip into them with Year 2. Not too sure about the 'teachers book' think it is probably more suited to year R or 1, but to be honest haven't really looked at it too closely. My children are loving the stories in the story telling book, not so sure about the quality of the dvd but the children have enjoyed watching those aswell.

12. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

So you are using the 4-7 storyteller set, I really want to improve on their extended writing but not necessarily through pure retells. Do they offer ideas for extended writing?
    Thanks

13. Flo71

Flo71 New commenter

Thanks, that is available at Amazon so I will give it a try.