1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 or year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beethan31, Mar 16, 2011.

1. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

I've got a choice for September - year 2 or year 4 and I can't make my mind up! I've taught year 2 once before and I've never taught year 4. I think I'm up for something new, but then year 2 might be the safer option. Arrggh!
    Which would you pick and why?!

2. I would pick Year 2 hands down because I much prefer Key Stage 1. It depends, however, on your personal circumstances. Which year groups have you taught already; if you've only tauight KS1 then prob best to do Year 4 so you have experience of KS2, for example?

3. Year 4 is my favourite year group I have taught so far, however I have not taught y2
    I have taught Y4, Y6, Y1 and now I am teaching y5, but I find Year 4's have been in school (and juniors) long enough to know routines, but are still young enough so love stickers and stamps and 'who's stitting the nicest?' etc
    I suggest getting more experience in as many yr groups as possible

Miss H

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Take the chance to move to year 4. As your career goes one you will be better off having taught as many different year groups as possible. Don't restrict yourself to 'safe options'.

5. inq

inq

Year 4 - new year group, new topics, lovely age - independent but still 'nice', no SATs!

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'd pick year 2. They are still young enough to hang on your every word, they will believe everything you tell them. You can tell them story after story and they will never be bored. They do not yet hate each other, they don't realise how annoying The Sniffer, The Farter, or The Headbanger will be by Year 4. The parents are still keen on school, they haven't started to nit-pick. Marking is easy. Everything is fun and new for them. The girls have not turned bitchy, and the boys are controllable. Go for Year 2.

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Which is the nicest class? I am quite happy to stay in year 6 for the next couple of years but have already identifed a class futher down the school that I never wish to teach! That will be the year I change from 6!

8. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

Year 4, easy choice. Am definitely a KS2 teacher [​IMG]

9. Y4.
    I am allergic to children under the age of 8 (except my own and their friends).

10. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I would go for Year 4 so you get to do something new.
    The only thing I will warn you about is girls' friendships. Year 4 is the year they get most b*tchy and fall out every day. (I know this happens in other year groups as well, but it always seems to be at its worst in Year 4!)

11. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Well I went for Year 4! It might end up actually being a 3/4 mix due to numbers & staffing, but I'm really looking forward to the change!
    Thanks for your comments. Any hints/tips/resources/advice about teaching y3/4 greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

12. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Get ready for them being horrible to each other and moaning non stop! I love my Year 4's but my goodness do they whinge!!! A previous poster said about the girls, well my girls are angels but the boys are a mare - falling out every second of the day. Their vocabulary and actions far exceed their emotional maturity bless them!

13. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have YR2/3 and unfortunately my year 2's can be bitchy, the boys nasty to one another, bullying has occurred because they have become fed up of the constant distractions of farters, sniffers etc!
    Saying that, on the whole they are a lovely bunch really and love stories and explanations of the world around them. They think I am the Oracle![​IMG]