1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 non or near-non readers.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by eddiecarron, Feb 20, 2013.

1. I am conducting a second research project based on perceptual learning designed to raise the reading standards of children unlikely to achieve Level 2 at the forthcoming Key Stage 1 test.
    All that is involved is the children completing a five minute computer exercise daily. There are no costs or other obligations and we expect only that teachers taking part will report their pupils progress after the Key Stage 1 test.
    Anyone interested should email me their school address and the research material will be sent so that they can make a decision on whether or not to take part.
    Email address is eddiecarron@btconnect.com
    For interest a senco participating in last year's pilot project reported as follows:
    If this programme had been available at the beginning of September, I have no doubt that the situation we faced at the end of the Autumn with so many near non-readers would not have occured; afteronly a hlf term 4 of the 6 participants are cecure 1c with the other two not far behind and all of them have grown immensely in terms of willingness too read and independence. Havng ended 2011 with these children working towards Level 1 and hating reading, the change I have seen in their attitude to reading and theri ability to recognise words has been amazing.
    Surrey Senco