1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Non-Chron Reports

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kirit, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Sorry, has anyone got any actual weekly planning I could use to teach the children about non-chronological reports. The literacy strategy suggests to carry out this unit of work over four weeks. I have looked at non-chron reports with the children and looked at the key features, etc... They are now at the stage whereby they need to plan & write their own. Just need to see some weekly planning. Arrrrrgh! Help!

2. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

We are starting this unit after Easter and we are doing reports on minibeasts
    Week 1- Exploring different types of reports- written, videos etc
    Ordering a mixed up report and labelling features

Week 2- Research on different types of minbeasts

Weeks 3 and 4- planning and writing reports. We will write them in sections with lots of modelling of language, editing etc
    Hope this helps a little

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

her are the NL stratagies........cant you work fronm those headings to find the work
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/primaryframework/literacy/planning/year2/nonfiction/unit4/
    letters
    non fiction books
    cataolouge
    research
    information
    these alone could give you 4 weeks work

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I just answered this on your other thread.

5. deanow

deanow New commenter

6. This was really helpful helskie thanks. Don't suppose you've got any planning I could look at for weeks 3 & 4 just to see how you break it down,its just that i'm a bit new to this thanks. My email address is nisha.p@btinternet.com. Thanks.

7. deanow

deanow New commenter

kirit, looking back at your posts I know you are after weekly plans but as another poster said you seem to be asking for weekly plans specifically related to nocturnal animals which, if you're doing the 2009 paper, you can't use.
    However, if you're using another context/ Topic I'd suggest breaking the writing phase down something like this:
    • Planning the report. Recap the features. Model how to create a spidergram for Topic (e.g. Seaside Holidays). Children research a specific area of the topic and use post its to highlight pages of interest. You could approach this in different ways. For example I've seen ideas on the forum where someone using minibeasts as the context for the report asked the children to create a menu for a mini beast, design a house etc.
    • Take one of the subheadings from previous lesson and model how to develop it with a little more detail. So, you could focus on transport and add sub headings about a few different types of transport used. Show children how to use reserach and add a bit more detail to each of those sub headings, e.g. planes - speed - used for long distances etc. Children then develop their own spidergrams.
    • Use a good e.g. from children's work and ask them to tell you what works well or a weaker example and tell you what neds to be changed. Then they carry on with planning.
    • Using your area of the Topic again - shared writing to create an opening for the report. Could base it it on an example that doesn't tell reader what report is about or is very dull. Children write own openings.
    • Then model how to use your plan to create paragraphs under sub heading. From now on you could focus on a different feature each day (adverbials, sentence starters, technical vocab, description for detail, organising each section, writing conclusion) with you modelling or children sharing writing with you.
    • Finally children edit their report using all the features/ success criteria you've disucssed.
    I always find the hardest part with non fiction writing is finding enough texts which are good models for the children to use <u>and</u> accessible to the age group. It does help if you base the work on your current topic because a) it gives them a purpose for their report and b) they'll hopefully have some subject knowledge already.
    Good luck with it all.

8. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I haven't done the planning yet but I expect it to go something like this
    Day 1- Plan reports- use a planning frame or mind map to plan a skeleton of ideas
    Day 2- add detail to the plan eg- technical words etc and share plans- improve
    Day 3- Model writing introduction. Chn to write introductions and improve
    Day 4- Model writing and write 1st couple of sections eg- where they live, what they eat etc
    Day 5- edit and improve reports so far
    Day 6- Model writing next sections- eg- special features etc
    Day 7- Model writing conclusions
    Day 8- Use AFL to edit and improve- whole reports eg- add more detail, add technical words etc
    Day 9/10- if time I will ask them to type up parts of their reports on the laptops

9. Thank you for your reply. Sorry I should have made myself much clearer. I was after some planning on how to teach non-chron reports, but not on nocturnal animals as Im doing the 2009 sat paper & im aware that i cant teach this before we do the paper. Thanx again for your help

10. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

11. Thanx for your help helskie. This is really useful.