1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 - new English curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cupcake91, Sep 1, 2015.

1. cupcake91

cupcake91 New commenter

Hi all,

I will be discussing this with our literacy coordinator but I thought I'd get a sense of people's views on here. I noticed that the use of inverted commas/speech marks now falls into the year 3 curriculum and is not mentioned at all under year 2. Having taught year 2 for the last few years, speech is always something we have taught, certainly to the higher ability children. My question is should it now not be touched in year 2, or as long as the children are secure with all the year 2 objectives then would it still be ok to teach it? Would these be the 'mastery' children?!

I've got some quite able writers coming up and I worry how I'd stretch them with their fiction writing if unable to teach speech, paragraphs etc from the old Level 3.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It's all about mastery now not moving onto the objectives for the next year group.

3. cupcake91

cupcake91 New commenter

Thanks Wotton. I thought this was the case. I think what is confusing me is that we base a lot of our writing on existing stories, as most schools do, and they have a lot of speech. So if I am modelling writing, surely I need to model it correctly?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree. Also if a child wants to include speech in independent writing they need to know how to do it correctly. I don't think it's a case of moving on but one of meeting the needs of the class. Of course they will meet it in more depth each year. That's how we mature as writiers.

5. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

There's no rule against teaching things from the year above. Just don't rush all kids on to it if they're not already secure with all the Y1/2 basics (like simple sentence punctuation!) is the key.

6. cupcake91

cupcake91 New commenter

Completely agree about meeting the needs of the class. My class did some writing this week and a couple of my more ables used exclamation marks, question marks and commas correctly. Once they have shown me they can do it consistently and in different styles of writing, I feel I would be doing them a disservice if I wasn't able to expose them beyond the Y2 curriculum.