1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 new class ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Jul 7, 2011.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I am starting a new primary school in September and have the chance to meet my new Year 2 class on Wednesday and Thursda next week. I have no idea of abilities / SEN etc or a timetable for the two days I'm there. Having never taught Y2 before any ideas of what I could do would be greatly appreciated!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You need to do some getting to know each other activities, so you start to get to know the children's personalities and they get to see how you work, your expectations etc.
    In the past I''ve seen them do 'Name plates' for their drawers or 'Name shields' which show pictorially, something about their likes/ interests etc.
    You might do some PHSE/circle work on friendships (seen these put in a friendship tree) / rules etc. to display in the classroom.
    Possibly some investigative maths task?

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Its funny, im in a similar situation - transition day next week. We will be in school all day and so I assume my class will be taught by me all day and am trying to get together a sort of timetable. As it is a whole day I thought id better structure it somewhat and so was thinking for a literacy type lesson I would write the children a letter and ask them to write me one back. I will include some kind if open ended Maths investigation. I have prepared a kite template with 4 headings: Name/Age, Picture of me, My Family, and Hobbies. I thought they could write/draw and decorate these for a display. Another idea I have got from on here are to make birthday cards so that each member of the class can choose one on their birthday. Then with some circle time games and a story that should pretty much fill a day!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would email the school and ask what the plan is. It is highly unlikely you will have them to yourself for the two days. More likely that you will be working with the current teacher for some of the time and just getting to know the children by chatting to them.

You may also have other staff to meet with. Our new teachers are coming in for a full day, but will only have an hour or two with their new classes and the rest of the day is meeting with mentors/phase leaders/ year team partners/school manager/etc.