1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YEAR 2 MUST HAVES

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lerp2, Sep 13, 2016.

1. lerp2

lerp2 New commenter

Hi,

I've just started my NQT year in year 2 (I've never been in there before) and have £300 to spend on my classroom for resources etc

Does anyone have anything that they feel is a must have that they have bought for their classroom?
    We have a lot of resources already but would love some more ideas - especially books or choosing activities, phonic games etc.

THANK YOU :D

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Buy things like manipulatives for maths, artefacts for your topics and so on.
    Don't be in a rush to spend it all at once...you might want to buy a caterpillar kit int he summer and watch them change to butterflies.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with not spending it all at once since as the year develops you may find you need certain things. However, don't scrimp and not spend it. Things like book and phonic games you mention are a good idea.

4. clare1117

clare1117 New commenter

We just had the caterpillar butterfly thing- top recommendation!

Twinkle have a good list of books for Y2. I have a range of picture books and some story anthologies to encourage them to visualise in their heads rather than just look at the pictures.

Buy some multicultural pencil crayons! My class were colouring themselves all sorts of colours.

Buy a ton of laminating pouches.

I spent money on a nice rug and new bookshelf from ikea for my book corner and then got some book stands to put 'featured' books on linked to our topic.

Buy some sand timers (5 minute ones)- good for when kids need time out.

Buy a big, child friendly clock!

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

As other posters have said, don't spend it all at once - but do check if there's a date by which you have to have spent it. In some schools I've worked in, if you haven't spent your budget by a certain date, that's it and you've lost it!

6. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I'd invest in setting up a "makerspace" area - straws, lollipop sticks, plasticine, paper plates/cups, pom poms, pipe cleaners, string, elastic bands, paper clips, masking tape,tooth picks etc.

123Vanilla likes this.
  7. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

8. tolkien

tolkien New commenter