1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Music - The Sea

Discussion in 'Music' started by marlin, Jan 10, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

2. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

The Four Sea Interludes by Benjamin Britten from Peter Grimes are great as short, varied and engaging pieces - they are about two to four minutes each.
    Relate them to the story of Peter Grimes - without some of the more adult overtones/themes and they can then use them as a stimulus to make their own 'versions'.
    Hope this helps! If you need more info let me know!

3. Ickle Ockle Blue Bottle fishes in the Sea is a great little dance for Early Years and KS1 children. You can find it in the NYCOS Singing Games and Rhymes book or in the new Voices Foundation Early Years book Inside Music. Sing the song with a circle of children and one or two swimming like fish in the middle of the circle. Depending on the age of the children you can do either an improvised dance with the partner you chose (as the class sing the song to la la la) or you can teach them a little pat-a-cake clapping pattern to perform to the musical beat. Alternatively you could try bouncing some fish puppets on a lycra "pond" circle of fabric. The children could then pick a fish and a little improvised sung question and answer session about their fish could follow before singing the song again - I like improvised questions and answers as it is an opportunity to get children singing alone. (You can get your lycra fabric pond from Music for Starters or just buy a square of fabric and snip off the corners.)

4. forgot to say Sea Shells is a lovely song too ... NYCOS Singing Games and Rhymes for Tiny Tots I think. It is gentle and lovely for circle time. We pass a shell round the circle and whoever has the shell at the end gets to make a wish / imagine a sound they can hear in the shell.
    Don't forget The Drunken Sailor- A sailor went to sea sea sea and When I was one - all available in lots of books I think.

5. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Ireland