1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 2 moderation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alison123, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I know I should be on holiday but I can't stop thinking about this. I've just completed my NQT year-hooray, and will be working in Year 2 from this Sept. We are expecting to be moderated and it's a single form entry school. I'd like to know exactly what records I need to be keeping. I know i'll need:
    Guided reading records with all their response to the questions I ask them, obviously their books, highlighted APP sheets for writing assessments, maths work in their books and science work in their books. Do I need to keep records of anything else?

2. I know I should be on holiday but I can't stop thinking about this. I've just completed my NQT year-hooray, and will be working in Year 2 from this Sept. We are expecting to be moderated and it's a single form entry school. I'd like to know exactly what records I need to be keeping. I know i'll need:
    Guided reading records with all their response to the questions I ask them, obviously their books, highlighted APP sheets for writing assessments, maths work in their books and science work in their books. Do I need to keep records of anything else?

3. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I was moderated this year for KS1 SATS this year. I would hope you will be sent on SATs training with your LEA. During this meeting/s moderation was covered in a little bit of detail but the LEA provided a guidelines book. In this book it gave examples of questions etc. My moderator wanted to see - SATS papers for the 3 children I had chosen for maths/reading/writing and then evidence to back up my SATS teacher assessment scores. For reading I showed her reading records/notes, comprehension activities the children completed for guided reading activities, I also took homereading diaries. Writing she wanted to see examples of indpt writing they had done since about Easter time. If you do big writing this is easy - if not just make sure you give them the chance to write indpt. For Maths it was just lots of examples of indpt work for all areas of maths, again recent work.... Make sure all your marking shows what help the children had/didnt have.

Hope that helps.....the moderator was a lovely lady and was a local primary headteacher. She rang about a week before to introduce herself and suggested also writing 'pen portraits' of each child I had chosen.
    Year 2 is a lovely year group...they can be very independant....you can have a great time with them! Enjoy and dont worry......you'll be fine

4. When we were moderated we needed evidence for 2 children in each sub level in reading, writing and maths. Evidence had to be seen of writing across the curriculum, particularly in science. A wide range of UAP evidence was needed for maths and extensive reading records. We then had to have additional evidence for every level 3 child that could be cross moderated.
    All you need to be able to do is give evidence to justify the assessments you have made.

5. I agree with all of the above but things seem to vary a little from county to county. My county don't ask for SATS papers and you are expected to attend a twilight moderation meeting with other local schools. You take 6 samples of writing (+ any level 3 samples) that you have levelled then everybody levels everyone elses, if there are discrepancies then you have to justify the level you have given! These meetings can be very lengthy! Moderators will sometimes focus more on a particular subject and may want to watch part of a lesson in that subject e.g. a maths starter where they will observe your target children. My county does not expect extensive reading records only the evidence you would normally gather and they don't ask for writing from any other subject although I think that's a really good idea.

How do you know you will be moderated this year? Schools in my county are not told until February if they are in the sample or not. Samples are picked randomly but moderation will happen at least every four years.If you are very unfortunate that could mean being moderated several times over a four year period.

6. Moderation happens on a cyclical basis but will also occur if there is a new teacher to Y2 - whether experienced in other year groups or an NQT.
    I would agree with the above posts - moderation is about being able to show that you can level children's work accurately and the moderators will use the children's work, your assessment files etc to judge if you are accurate. Remember to include notes from TAs too - not all the evidence has to be 'formal'. You will probably be asked to bring 6 children's work across differerent sub-levels and the moderators will choose 3 from within those 6 to talk about in depth.
    I have been moderated and been a moderator and would say that in all the times I have been involved in moderation it has been non-threatening and it is actually good to have a professional dialogue with other teachers/consultants - you always learn something new no matter how long you have been teaching!
    Just be organised throughout the year and the moderation will go smoothly as you will know your children so well by then.

7. Varies from LA to LA but my experience last year v positive.
    Firstly, know your levels for lit/num. The point of moderation is to make sure levels across the country/county are the same - so you need to know what a 2c, level 1 or 2a whatever actually is. We use a mix of APP and other materials to familiarise ourselves. Go to any moderation/levelling activities run by LA to help this. Ask for help from your co-ordinator - gather as much as possible that helps YOU to justify why you are saying 1c/2b whatever.
    We were asked for 3 children with evidence (our choice of children). We deliberately chose one we were sure of (ie a level 3 which was clearly level 3), a 2b and someone we weren't sure was 1a or 2c. Moderator was delighted to have discussion about our uncertainties - that's what she was there for.
    We typed pen portraits for each - ie a couple of A4 pages explaining what level we thought and why, giving examples. We had subject books, APP, guided reading records, planning - whatever the school assessment was. Moderator also heard the children read if unsure.
    Overall, we gave the impression we knew what we were talking about and having it summarised in a pen portrait helped consolidate that impression. Remember - YOU know the child, they don't. You need to make that come across.
    Overall, a very positive experience. Don't panic - plan. You'll be fine.

8. And I would echo the previous poster (postee?!) - by the time you are moderated you really know your children. At the start of the year, this seems an impossibility but believe me it happens!

9. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

We had the moderators in for Year 2 in May this year. As others have said the process varies according to LEA. We had to send class lists with our TA assessments for reading, writing and maths. In Essex they sent an email the day before the moderator came to tell us which 3 children they would be focusing on in mine and my colleague's classes (6 children in all). Their levels ranged from P8/1C to 3B. The moderator only focused on 4 children in the end as the other 2 were back ups in case there was any disagreement with the levels of the first 4.
    For reading I had my group reading records and notes, reading comprehensions done in guided reading with annotations, APP sheets, SATs papers and then we just discussed what I knew about these children and what I thought their next steps were.
    For writing I had about 5 or 6 pieces of independent writing for each child that covered different genres. I put these with their APP sheets and just talked through why I thought they were the level I had given, picking out examples in their writing. I didn't write down any justification as I had taught year 2 for a number of years and could easily prattle on about it, but if it's new to you it's probably best to make notes for peace of mind.
    For numeracy we had done a lot of maths through using and applying so I had made up folders for each ability group with maths investigations they had completed independently. These had post-its on with observations I had made as they were working. I also had APP sheets and stuck post-it 'tags' in their maths books and folders so I could quickly find examples of work to discuss. Then there were the SATs papers.
    In all areas I was asked what I would do next to move them on.
    Our moderator was a retired Headteacher and was really lovely. It was a very friendly experience and this seems to be the norm judging by other comments, so you've nothing to worry about if you are moderated.

10. deanow

deanow New commenter

Just to add to all the above our LA also told us:
    We needed to be ready to explain why A is Level x rather than a level y. I found it helped to get in first with "I've assessed them as a Level 2C rather than a 2B because...". It shows you really know the children and what is required at each level/ sublevel.
    To assess a child as a Level 3 in writing they need to be producing sustained pieces of writing, i.e. they could be wonderful writers but if they rarely complete anything then it's unlikely they should be awarded a Level 3.
    Evidence for writing should be from across the curriculum.
    Ask colleagues to moderate a selection of your assessments.
    I'd also say:
    Make sure you keep absolutely on top of keeping your assessment evidence - it takes forever to backtrack if you don't. If you're using APP decide what a child needs to do before you highlight a statement to show it's been achieved so you can describe your approach to the moderator. My moderator liked to see dates on all the APP guidelines to show when a child had achieved each of the points. I also had a simple key so I could track which subject/ book the evidence could be found in. Additionally, at our school we copy a grid on the back of the APP sheets where we record other evidence such as a child's response in a plenary. I found that the hardest part to keep on top of but the moderator loved it!
    Enjoy Year 2!

11. What a great thread, it's so handy to hear different ideas and approaches. I also keep lots os annotated photographs as evidence - I don't print them all out but store on disk which I note on APP grids etc. I Would also like to echo that I have always found moderation a positive experience.

12. Hi
    We were moderated this year and we also had to provide evidence of speaking and listening levels. We did this using APP sheets but also took notes during speaking and listening activities which were planned for. These were very well recieved. We found the moderation very positive. You'll do great!

13. Is anyone not using APP?

14. Thank you for all your advice and experiences. I realise I'm not keeping a record of speaking and listening, so a big thank you for mentioning that. I will be keeping science, writing and reading APP sheets for 30 children but do I need to do that for Maths as well? I'll need to start folders for Using and Applying. Most of you mention 6 children; are you choosing 2 each from top middle and bottom? I can't see how I will find the time to keep APP sheets going for all 30 chn as well as UAP folders ontop of the writing, reading and science tracking.
    We still do SATs in May as well, are we not over assessing these children?

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I was moderated last year and don't use APP. We use the Criterion Scale for writing and track reading, maths and science against NC levels. I used videos and tapes the children had made as evidence for S&L

16. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Yes, you do in my school as well. Plus science! Plus sub-levels for all of the foundation levels (ooh, I often think-magic, this child is clearly now a 1a in music...)

It's all a bit too much...