1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 moderation - when do you find out?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scorpio12, Mar 18, 2012.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello,

When do you find out if you are going to be externally moderated (Year 2)?

How much notice do they give you? Do they select the children or do you?

Thanks a lot :)

2. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hello,

When do you find out if you are going to be externally moderated (Year 2)?

How much notice do they give you? Do they select the children or do you?

Thanks a lot :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We already have. And we select the children.

Might be different in different LAs though.

4. I'm in Oxfordshire and we have just received a letter this week confirming we will not be moderated. I thought they told schools by Feb if they were, but I might be wrong in this assumption. it might vary from area to area. I would have thought you would know by now if you were.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I had the letter in the autumn term

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Same LA as me, but we found out about 4 weeks ago that we were.

PS I'm supposed to be going to visit schools/teachers showing good practice in KS1, I'd love to come and visit you!

7. Minnie, you might find out I'm not showing good practice! Seriously though, you would be welcome to come, but I know you run things quite differently from me, as I know you do more groups, whilst mine is a more traditional whole class thing. I suppose it depends on the kind of set up you're wanting to see.

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We found out we are about 2 weeks ago. I select 3 (1 average, 1 above, 1 below) and they select one at random from my assessment grid.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'll see anything that stops my HT thinking I'm a total ***!

I wrote i d i o t!!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We select 6: two top, two middle, two bottom and then they choose any three. They come and see them in class and then we moderate.

11. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thanks very much for your helpful replies. I guess I shall wait and see if anything comes for me!

12. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

A letter was sent to my HT about 2 weeks ago saying which schools in the borough were being moderated and luckily we are not one of them. It's my first time in year 2 and my year partner has been off since January so I'm kind of holding the fort and don't really know what I am doing. Let the chaos continue!!

13. cally1980

That sounds more in depth thatn mine! I have had some guidance on what to expect and am going to a moderating session with the other schools being moderated til some ungodly time tomorrow evening (joy!). I don't think mine are coming into class, unless they disagree with my levels on paper I suppose! I do believe they talk to the selected children and hear them read though. I am dreading it, despite being comfortable enough with my assessments!

14. cally1980

We have been chosen in part because I am also new to year 2! Being a 1 form entry and a recently downgraded to 'satisfactory' school with a new head it was always going to happen.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you think so? I'm new to year 2, my partner teacher left at half term and has been replaced by a very inexperienced supply teacher.

I too am dreading it. I'm happy with my assessments and levelling, but am unsure about my 'evidence'.

16. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What is year 2 moderation? Who does it, and why at this time of the year? One of my children was moderated before Easter in year 2 - in one subject she was moderated down one sub-level, but at the end of the summer term the school gave her the higher level. I always wondered what it was all about.
    What's the point of being moderated a whole term before the end of year 2?

17. cally1980

Well that is what my head said before we were chosen, though I think the fact that the school is working closely with the SIP at the LEA just solidified the decision. I looked through my Maths books the other day and realised how little paper evidence I have for some of the things that I know they can do, have seen they can do etc... I annotate my planning but more for groups or whole class than individual learners so doubt that will be acceptable evidence. Im looking forward to having a look at somebody else's books at the meeting tomorrow, see how mine compare!

18. cally1980

The LEA do it, I don't know why they do it at this time of year but really, it doesn't matter when they do it if their moderating matches what you say the child is achieving at a given point in the year. They prob gave her the higher level because she had gone on to make that progress in the summer term.

19. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

So if a moderator pulled down (or pushed up the grades) on the sample of children they looked at, would you be expected to make adjustments across the board?

20. cally1980

If they found a discrepancy they would prob pull a few more at random to check it wasn't an anomoly, but assuming the moderation flagged up a levelling issue yes, I think you would be expected to reassess all children with support. However, my borough are holding these workshops so that you can bring along samples of work & practise moderating with other schools. They encourage you to bring samples you are unsure of to develop levelling. Though, as Minnie suggests, it is very much about the 'evidence'.