1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Mental Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PenguinSmall, Jan 31, 2016.

1. PenguinSmall

PenguinSmall New commenter

Just wondering if people still cover a wide variety of things in their mental maths at the start of each lesson.
    We are suddenly having a big 'whole school' drive on times table where they will be tested on them every week. This will mean one of my mental maths sessions is a short written test. The other days I do a variety of things, counting, work on individual whiteboards, etc.
    Is this what other people do or am I massively out of date? X

2. nmason

nmason New commenter

We do roughly the same as you. We try to count daily (not necessarily in the lesson). I also have a weekly slot for Big Maths. If you haven't come across it, the children have 90 seconds to complete as many questions as possible (there are 40). It is building on the fact that there are a set number of key number facts and if they can recall them quickly they can apply them to all number facts. The aim of doing it weekly is to try and beat their score. There is a tune that goes with it. It is all free, here is a link: http://heslerton.n-yorks.sch.uk/data/documents/BMBT-Learn-Its-Tests.pdf
    Jingles: http://www.andrelleducation.com/product/big-maths-beat-that-challenge-jingles/

3. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Are these printed for the pupils or displayed on the board for them to work from?

4. nmason

nmason New commenter

The children have a copy (I usually print 4 to an A4 page), they then have them marked and given back the next day so they can practise at home. I give them a sticker for beating their score and if they thrash it they get a certificate (eg by 10). I give the biggest progress a prize at the end of the term. I've had one girl go from averaging 4/40 for the first few weeks to 38/40 last week. She is applying it in lessons as well, which is obviously the main idea.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  5. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter