1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 - maths session based on an 'object' - help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vikki27, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm getting myself really stuck and would love some fresh ideas. I've been asked to prepare a 20min maths session for a mixed year 1/2 class for interview based on an 'object' of my choice. I'm completely stuck with the object bit. Ideas so far are dice (a bit boring), a Weetabix box (but they come in 12s and 24s and what would I do with them) or money (is that an 'object)? Any ideas would be fantastic as I'm just going round in circles at the moment and not coming up with anything.
    Thankyou in advance,
    Vikki

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Sounds interesting! I wouldn't consider dice or money as objects in this context, although you may choose to involve them in an activity connected with your 'object'.
    I like your idea about the weetabix box as there are many possibilities here ...
    I think the challenge could be keeping a focus on your chosen objective/s as it would be easy to let your imagination run riot!
    Do you know what topic the class are studying at the moment? It would be good to show how you could link maths with other areas of the curriculum and this would be one way of doing that.
    Perhaps if you could decide on the objectives and theme, we could help with more specific ideas.
    Hope that helps,
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. Box of chocolates?

Looking at prices and combinations of chocolates to make a given amount?eg What the cost of these boxes? How could you spend 20p on 5 chocolates?
    Looking at possible "arrays" of chocolate in the box
    Design box of chocolates using given postions eg square choc to left of circle?

4. Thanks both. You are right about the Weetabix thing being a bit too complex and trying to focus on one objective - I came up with lots of ideas but all random ones that didn't necessarily go together. I also love your box of chocolates idea but will keep that in mind now for another time as I've settled on Smartie tubes and data handling. Coming up with questions we can ask about the smarties in the tube, 1 tube between 2 to be emptied and children arrange as a bar graph, label the bar graph - answer some questions about their smarties - colours etc. Hope I can fit it into 20 mins.
    Thanks again.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Tube of smarties. Patterns & sequences, probability, fractions, division, measuring, graphs etc. Smarties ROCK!

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Ah yes .. the smartie investigation! This is quite well known ...

7. char2505

char2505 New commenter

It sounds like they are maybe looking for some creativity in Maths. How about something like a monster that takes half of everything he sees? Or a magic wand that doubles things? A goblin that steals odd numbers? A collection of post boxes for parcels with shapes that meet different criteria. A group of objects to sort according into a venn diagram. Of the top of my head, but hope is of some use.

8. Sorry to be the party pooper but if you're thinking about using sweets check with the school first. It's a big no no if they're a 'healthy school.'

9. Something like a set of Match Attax or Moshi Monsters cards?

LOADS of Maths in them.