1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Maths Interview Observation

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by vrhc, Nov 19, 2015.

1. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

Hi! :).
    I have a maths interview for year 2 next week. I have been told that they have been doing addition, subtraction and place value and there is a widespread of abilities. The criteria explains that the 1 hour lesson must allow the 30 children to USE and APPLY this knowledge.

I have my mental/oral starter sorted but have had so many ideas for the main activity.
    At first I was going for an activity where the children could find different ways to make a number through a practical activity, such as number of goals scored and differentiate the number of people involved in the question accordingly.

I was quite happy about the activity but unsure that it would fill the main part of the session. Additionally, I have been advised by another teacher to maybe stick to problem solving questions. Therefore the lesson could be start off with a book, e.g a book with dragons or pirates in school and base the problem solving cards around this theme.
    I would have all the problem cards in separate baskets in the middle of the tables with maths equipment ready for them to choose, i.e 100 square, multilink etc.

My first question is, how can I explain the differentiation on my plan for those observing, i.e how do I differentiate the problems 3 ways?

Secondly, I usually like working with a focus group (I have no TA as well during this lesson) but have been advised to float around for 15 minutes whilst assessing how each ability group/individuals are getting on and then do a mini plenary after 15 minutes then take some children onto the carpet area who have been struggling and need extra support.

I'm just hope that through doing the problem solving cards the classroom doesn't seem chaotic...and is it also high ceiling enough?

Should I go with the problem solving cards (colour/number coded/whiteboards for working out and sheet to write number sentence) or do I go for a completely different main activity?!

Thank you!